Stealing from Saturn - M. Acilius Glabrio

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jul 2, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'll first confess that I've stolen my thread title from the fourth episode of HBO's TV series, Rome :D.

At this point of the series, Pompey has already fled Rome at the approach of Caesar's legion, and in this episode, discovers to his dismay that some of the men he had sent to empty the Republic's Treasury of all its gold had instead decided to make off with it themselves. To his even greater displeasure, he learns that his men had encountered two of Caesar's own - Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo - who beat them off and took possession of their wagons, with one of them (Pullo, naturally) deciding that he would keep all the Treasury loot for himself.

In a more contemporary and certainly more accurate account of the events, Pliny the Elder tells us that Caesar, on crossing the Rubicon and entering Rome in 49 BC, took from the aerarium (the Treasury located in the basement of the Temple of Saturn on the Capitoline Hill) a massive hoard of gold and silver, as well as the equivalent of 7.5 million denarii worth of coin. One of those coins could very well have been this one...

RR - Acilius Glabrio Valetudo Huntington 2075.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    Manius Acilius Glabrio, moneyer

AR Denarius. 3.78g, 19mm. Rome mint, 49 BC. Crawford 442/1a; Sydenham 922. O: Laureate head of Salus right; SALVTIS behind. R: Valetudo standing left holding serpent and leaning elbow on column; MN ACILIVS III VIR VALETV around.
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection, ANS 1001.1.12776

I don't have the Michael Harlan book with a chapter on this moneyer, but writing in an online forum thread a few years ago, he postulates that this issue of Glabrio's from 49 BC was struck in support of Pompey, and that the obverse bust of Salus speaks to the idea that Pompey and the optimates were fighting to preserve the health (salus) of the Republic. He goes on to suggest that the bulk of the coin that Caesar took from the Treasury for his own use was this exact type.

The very specific choice of depicting Valetudo, the goddess of physical well-being, on the reverse of the coin, is also an interesting one. It's been suggested that the Acilia were responsible for the early promotion of private medical practice in Rome, but there is no actual evidence to support this theory. On the other hand, Glabrio may have been raised as a child in Pompey's house (his mother, Aemilia Scaura, was Pompey's second wife), and the choice may have been made in connection with Pompey's recovery from a grave illness the year before, an event which was widely celebrated throughout Italy. Ironically, Pompey would be dead before the end of 48 BC.

Please feel free to post your M. Acilius Glabrio coins!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I love Rome, had to buy it. Love that coin too!

zumbly likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting coin, Z-- and even more interesting writeup. You have a knack for creating very tasty information-packed amuse-bouches :).

5. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0251.JPG
    I think mine is struck from a worn die. Parts are still crisp, but the higher points on the reverse are rather worn. I liked the toning on this one. I do have Harlen, and he suggests date of 50BC and that it also related to Pompey's illness, linking his health to the health of the state.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow! Nice analogy! Nailed it Ms. @TIF !!!

That describes many of @zumbly 's super posts!

zumbly and TIF like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

8. zumbly

Yup... the informational equivalent of a tablespoonful is about what I generally aim for. You're going to have to get your appetizers and main courses elsewhere :p.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice, well detailed coin @zumbly. Mine is rather worn:

MAN ACILIUS GLABRIO.jpg
    MAN ACILIUS GLABRIO ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS ACILIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: SALVTIS, head of Salus right
    REVERSE: MN ACILIVS III VIR VALETV, Salus standing left holding serpent
    Rome 49 BC
    3.37g, 20mm
    Cr442/1a, Acilia 8

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Love the coin and the 'narrative' @zumbly !!

I always envy those who write clearly and succinctly----especially when it is presented in an interesting and informative way. Unfortunately, I tend to be a bit stiff and verbose.....

Here's my example ( purchased from ACM):

RR salus bust.jpg rr salus valutudo reverse.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes: Thanks Bing!!!:)

13. zumbly

Thanks for all your comments and sharing your examples of this interesting type, folks. That so many of us in this group have one in their collection really points to how many were struck. I'm not with my notes right now, but I recall that Crawford recorded something like 600+ obverse and 700+ reverse dies for this issue.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Good memory : 651/723 according to Crawford !

Interesting and beautiful type. I don't have any of those unfortunately

Q

zumbly likes this.
  15. zumbly

Thanks for looking that up, Q! :)

Cucumbor likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Nice @zumbly ! Nice write up... makes this issue VERY interesting.

RR Man Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE Salus Valetudo snake Craw 442-1a.JPG
    RR Man Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE Salus Valetudo snake Craw 442/1a

RR Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE AR Den Salus Valetudo snake S412 Cr 442-1.jpg
    RR Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE AR Den Salus Valetudo snake S412 Cr 442/1a

Attached Files:

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, my example.

[​IMG]
    Man. Acilius Glabrio ( 49 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: SALVTIS behind, laureate head of Salus right, wearing earring and necklace; hair in knot, falling down neck.
    R: MN. ACILIVS III. VIR. VALETV, Valetudo (Salus) standing left, holding serpent, resting elbow on column.
    Rome
    18mm
    3.9g
    Sear 412; Crawford 442/1a; CRI 16; Sydenham 922

18. zumbly

Alegandron likes this.
  19. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone! Alas, I am missing this issue.:(

zumbly likes this.
  20. Alegandron

:D @zumbly said bunches were made! Better get some before they are all eaten up! :D

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

14.jpg

dolla dolla bills ya'll!

denari denari coins ya'll!

Draft saved Draft deleted