Why can't the US Mint manufacture coins like Canada?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rickmp, Jun 27, 2016.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I just read Dave from the country's question about Canadian cents (https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1997-and-1998-w-canadian-pennies.280500/) and it made me look at this http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/coin-production-1200012.
    "Volatile base metal prices and rising production costs have created global demand for an alternative to the conventional coin. The Mint's revolutionary patented multi-ply plated steel technology offers significant advantages:
    "Substantial savings in time and materials: multi-ply plating uses less nickel, copper or bronze than usual methods, and is dramatically quicker than single-ply
    • Superior performance: nickel plate resists tarnishing better than cupronickel and ferritic stainless steel
    • Heightened security: multi-ply coins possess optimum electromagnetic readability, to ensure security and prevent vending machine fraud."

It makes me wonder why The US doesn't use this process.
    Opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

[​IMG]

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Because we don't have The Royal Canadian Mint, Canada does. :)

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Because the banks want us to use debit cards?

Tim Lackie Jr and Ericred like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey.. I wonder if anyone realizes that there is a bank in the US which is originally Canadian?
    TD Bank - The company is a subsidiary of The Canadian Multinational Toronto Dominion Bank :wideyed:

Tim Lackie Jr and Paddy54 like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Would probably help making production less expensive, yes. Then again, since the Canadian Mint also emphasizes the security aspect: Maybe the incentive to develop such new technologies is higher if the denominations involved are not just pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters?

Christian

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For sure. Look at the lack of security features on the 1 by comparison to other denominations. Would probably need at least a 5 dollar coin for the security aspect to start to be a major factor in the decision making.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

From the title, I thought the OP wanted us to mint a colorized dinosaur coin that glows in the dark...with perhaps Harriet Tubman on the obverse.:)

11. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I had to laugh at this. I've lived up here north of the border since '97. Canada did away with cents last year. When you go to any store, it's rounded to the nearest 5 cents. Evidently, their new technology didn't make up for the huge man-hours spent for cashiers to make penny change from the till. It has shown to save hundreds and hundreds of man hours and made lines move much quicker. Maybe if the mint would have made pennies with superman or kindergarten drawings on them like the rest of the crap they put out, Canada would have kept the penny but, alas, it's gone and will never return.

Tim Lackie Jr and Kentucky like this.
  12. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Mikey's term: Granny Bait comes to mind

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

LOL......came to mind with me too. Canadians seem to call a spade a spade......:)

14. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Intresting, thanks for sharing

Tim Lackie Jr and paddyman98 like this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

They have to do something good otherwise Minnesota would invade them.... :)

16. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Unless the price of nickel and or copper shoots up drastically or counterfeits start to appear in mass volume - there's no real incentive to invest in newer technology. You can start talking about political stuff but we'll leave it as it is.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Why? They already 'speak' Canadian........:)

Tim Lackie Jr and Mainebill like this.
  18. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Ask our "lovely" government :)

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

eh?

20. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Mmmm..... bacon

21. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Me also. Does the US Mint also wish to have the obligatory milk spots on all their silver also?

Draft saved Draft deleted