1997 and 1998 W Canadian pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dave from the country, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Hello. I'm brand new here and would appreciate if someone could answer a question for me I have been unable to find the answer to. I have a large number of Canadian pennies I'm going through and have noticed mention of 1997 and 1998 Canadian pennies designated as "W". What does the W mean? Does it mean Winnipeg? Are any such pennies in circulation? Any information would be most appreciated. I can find no information on the internet although www.coinsandcanada.com lists the two coins so they must exist, although they provide no information on them. Thanks sincerely. Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

There are 3 branch mints in Canada; Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver.
    That's all the info I can give you.
    I'm sure there will be more info from others soon.
    Maybe this site would be of help to you http://www.mint.ca/store/template/home.jsp
    Welcome to CT, Dave!

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

In 1998 and in 2000 there were a very limited edition cent struck bearing the W mint mark. I believe they were limited to mint like sets. You can only find them in the mylar RCM packaging . I think the last one I looked at 1998 date was in the 60-70 $ price range. And yes to answer your question the "W" is for Winnipeg mint mark.

5. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The "WE" mintmarks are not that hard to find. You could visit the mint and get all you wanted.

Ericred likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted