Why buy generic rounds?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Comptalk, Mar 14, 2015.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

There are generally 3 schools of thought in a buy and hold scenario. Buy as close to spot as possible, generally smaller weights 1oz to 10oz and make sure they're hallmarked .999 silver, or buy recognized government bullion, usually something from where you'll be selling. Some would also say 90% is a good idea also. The buy and sell spreads are considered the key. Go to Provident, Apmex or other web dealers and see what the buy sell spreads are to get an idea.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

was this a joke post or are you really this scrambled?

stgecko and slackaction1 like this.
  4. krispy

krispy krispy

Dead serious, pal. Nothing is as easy as you want it to be when you want and all on your terms. Don't fool yourself.

longnine009 likes this.
  5. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Silver eagles should be tested just as much as any other type of silver bullion. China is producing lots of fake silver eagles.

I've never had a problem selling generic bullion for over spot.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. krispy

krispy krispy

Indeed! Know your sellers! Due diligence should never be skimped on, which just goes to prove my point about the earlier presupposed ease of unloading metals when you need to. Just because there are technically advanced methods available, it still doesn't save you time if you also have to vettthose you are dealing with.

I have also had no trouble trading generic billion, but I also already had longstanding relationships with local dealers and wasn't in a rush to get deals done. I will also say that the dealers always prefered Eagles and such denominated bullion over generic bullion, and always asks if I have that when making a deal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I should have said I'm stacking bars, not generic rounds. (Johnson Matthey).

8. Miko W

Miko W Active Member

I sold off some stuff lately and was surprised at the difference in enthusiasm my LCS had for the gov't mint products versus private rounds and bars. Changed my buying for the future, for sure.

krispy likes this.
  9. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

So the buyer was excited and that's nice, but what was the price difference they paid for govt vs generic?

10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

isn't something like a kilo bar going to silver no matter what? seems like big bars are a good way to go.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

"was this a joke post or are you really this scrambled?
    "

12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

are you posting from your bunker today?

booo!

13. krispy

krispy krispy

"isn't something like a kilo bar going to silver no matter what?"

>>DOES NOT COMPUTE>>>Fry Daddy Jr's FRIED>>>SCRAMBLED>>>AND THEN SOME!!!

14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

wow, a "meltdown" in the bullion forum
    appropriate.

Jaredbd likes this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

Yup! All proverbial Fry Daddy Freudian slip's in the BULLion forum, fried as well as SCRAMbled!

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

A good example on why some collectors buy generic rounds is the Zombucks. If you get in on the ground floor and you buy when the price is crazy stupid then you have a good chance of making a profit. If you buy at the tail end of the craze then you end up a day late and a dollar short. You gotta pay attention to the trends and what's hot. In other words you gotta be careful when you choose to buy generic rounds cause you may lose your shorts. laughhard.gif

17. SunriseCoins

SunriseCoins Active Member

Just a cheap way to stack silver.

18. Pere

Pere Active Member

This. You want silver that will be very widely recognized, come what may.

19. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

anything like that will be widely counterfeited. but end times fantasies and delusions are always a personal thing.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

:yawn: If only you had two cents for every two cents you offered, your stack could have been that much higher. :p

21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Edit - forum rules

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted