Why are pandas going for such a high premium?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldrealmoney79, Dec 27, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

A quick search of eBay tells me that this coin is in demand for reasons unknown to me. Many at the Bay come with price tags higher than this one.

4. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. Drives the price of everything.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, I think that's a special year for one reason or another, idk why! Here's mine, wish mine were a special issue! :D

IMG_1790.JPG IMG_1793.JPG

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The early pandas have very small montages and have always had significant premiums, this is nothing knew. It wasn’t until like 2014 that their montages exploded and their premiums dropped a lot on newer issues

goldrealmoney79, Tater and medoraman like this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I know why! That's when Poh became the Dragon Warrior and learned three things from Master Shifu and his adopted father: (1) There are no accidents, (2) There is no secret ingredient, and (3) You sometimes meet your fate on the road you take to avoid it.

Tater and fretboard like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This.

Before a certain date, and I would argue before 2014 as I own lots of 2011's etc, they were sold as mainly bullion at the time but have become more collectible.

Why are 1916d dimes worth more than bullion? Why can't I buy a 1901s quarter at melt? Because collector value for the date and mm is higher than melt. I know nothing about the rarity of a 1997 small date panda, but evidently its demand is much higher for numismatic interests than bullion ones.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Some of the mintages in the mid 90's were only estimated to be around 100K on the panda. I'd look it up in Peter's book but I'm not around it to look. In the mid 2000's with the world's wealth beginning to transfer from the west to places like China their is several native Chinese that want to own some of their coins as they originally were never released at home and all abroad. I think the panda glory days have come and gone but they are great coins to own and enjoy. I do think they have more upside than most of the other worlds mint releases. Now it is speculated if the chinese economy ever picks back up than their would be more demand for these coins as the middle class in china would want to build master sets of 1 oz silver coins because they will not be able to afford the gold bears.

10. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

@baseball21
    Thats great to know, wasnt aware of the mintage issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted