Why are 2017 1/10th oz Krugerrands MUCH MORE expensive than random year?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by E Pluribus Unum, Nov 13, 2017.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

After doing the math, I found that 1/10th oz gold coins gives a better bang for your buck than a 10 oz silver bar. Currently, I've been buying 1/10th oz AGE and 1/10th oz gold Maples (occasionally, a 1/10th oz gold Britannia or 1/10th oz Philharmonics).

I am interested in buying 1/10th oz Krugerrands, but I noticed that that there is a substantial difference in price between a random year ($150) or 2017 ($170). In general, random year coins usually cost a little less than current year coin - but not always. In fact, I just saw a online vendor selling 2017 1/10th oz Maples for less than random years.

There is about a $20 difference between a random year and 2017 1/10th oz Krugerrands. This may not seem much, but the math says otherwise. That's about a 13% increase. I would never pay for such an increase. Is this substantial increase a result of a lower mintage for 2017?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Maybe because 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the Krugerrand so people think 2017 is going to be a special issue. I also think because you are choosing the year that you want there is a little premium to that.

4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

The current year will always be more expensive.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. Next year 2017 will be a random year.

6. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I like to buy the Canadian Maples from 2017 and onward because they are less likely to be counterfeits. I am surprised that the US Eagles do not have security features. But, I noticed on eBay that for a couple of extra bucks, you can buy a NGC slabbed AGE. With all of the talk over counterfeits, I have mostly buy US and Canadian gold. I'm new to buying gold. I've been buying 1 oz silver coins for a while now, and I always thought that it would not be worthwhile to counterfeit an ounce of silver. Gold is a different story.

Draft saved Draft deleted