Featured Who is buried in Philip II’s tomb?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Mar 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

Kingdom of Macedon. Philip II, 359-336 BC.

O: Head of Apollo right R:Horseman right, bukranion below. SNG Copenhagen 604. 17 mm, 5.6 g

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Philip II is really one of the most interesting men in history ...

"I don't always conquer the the known world.. but when I want to - I have a son who can do it for me....."

upload_2019-3-9_23-38-5.png

Phillip2_MERGE.jpg

4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Thanks for this very interesting write up and for sharing your Philipp II beauties. Will get the book :)

Sulla80 and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, AWESOME!

6. Alegandron

I have read a few books, etc on Philip II. This author really put it all into perspective. Everyone KNOWS Alex III, but he started conquering Persia at 20yo. The book really puts it into perspective about the genius and life struggle that Philip II had. He took a shattered Kingdom and built it into a world power... his systems and advances were SO robust, that when he was assassinated prior to executing the plans to destroy Persia, his son relatively easily picked up the plans and executed them brilliantly. Incredible infrastructure, training, teaching was well laid by his father to enable Alex to become The Great. Amazing story, and amazing man to create this legacy. It is a shame that EVERYONE seems to know Alex III, but very few really understand how truly great his father, Philip II was. The amazing success of Alex III’s career REALLY points to the incredible brilliance of Philip II. I believe Philip II really IS the better man.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    arizonarobin, cmezner and Sulla80 like this.
  7. Alegandron

Oh! OP poster broke out an Alex III :D And a cool Babylon at that... here are a few cool ones... Lifers

upload_2019-3-10_16-11-37.jpeg
    Makedon Alexander III - Alexandrine Babylon Di-Shekel Tet 24mm 16.35g LIFETIME 328-311 Baal-Lion

upload_2019-3-10_16-12-33.jpeg
    Makedon Alexander III Lifetime Tet Myriandrus mint-Alexandria near Issus

upload_2019-3-10_16-13-23.png
    Makedon Alexander III 336-323 BC AR Obol 7mm 0.51g Babylon Lifetime Herakles lion skin Club bow quiver wreathM Price 3744
    1/24th of a Tet. :)

8. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

TIF likes this.
  9. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Beautiful tetradrachm of Philip II

10. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@alegandron got the book :happy: it is fascinating and so very well written, thanks again for the reference !

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

My pleasure!

I always enjoyed Philip II, thinking he HAD to have influenced Alex III greatly. Had a University Prof in the 70’s that really brought it home, but the course was all about Alexander the Great. So, he did not deep-dive into Philip II.

But, reading that Philip II book just nailed it! I am really glad you enjoyed it. He was an amazing person.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    cmezner likes this.
  12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Who is buried in Philip II’s tomb?

I fully expected to see "Jimmy Hoffa" when I clicked on this thread.

I guess I don't understand ancients yet.

:angelic:

Ryro, Sulla80 and TIF like this.
  13. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon this thread researching a new coin of mine that ended up being a good match to the first coin in this thread! I didn't know much if anything about the Macedonian kings, and I was bought this coin spuriously off of eBay under the attribution of Alexander the Great. It was under $20 so I figured it was a fake but it looked good enough and I was intrigued enough to chance it. Having it here in hand, I'm fairly confident that the coin is authentic after looking at other examples and it had just been misattributed, but I would appreciate confirmation on the authenticity as Greek coins are not my specialty. Anyways, this thread was an interesting read and I was glad to stumble upon it and I wanted to revive it a bit and share my example as well. The thunderbolt is hard to see in the photo but it's clearly there at the right angle.

359-336 BCE Macedonia AE17 5.63g 17.4mm SNG ANS 880.png
    Philip II
    King of Macedonia
    359-336 BCE
    AE 17 | 5.63g
    Obv: Apollo right
    Rev: "ΦIΛIΠΠOY" above a young horseman right, thunderbolt below
    SNG ANS 880​

cmezner, ominus1, Bing and 5 others like this.
  14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice catch! No expert here, but I'd say it is authentic. A good start to a Macedonian collection.

I have a "thunderbolt" type as well -

Macedonia - Philip II Horse & Apollo thunderblt Dec 18 (3).JPG

And I just picked up a bucranium (cow skull) type off eBay a couple weeks ago. I really like this type:

Macedon - Philip II horse bucran lot May 2020a (0b).jpg

ominus1, Bing, TuckHard and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted