Who have you bought bullion from.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Has anyone used bullion direct, ampex or MWT mint to buy bullion?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Apmex is what i would say nice people to deal with

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Member

Of the three you've mentioned, I have had a couple of transactions with Apmex which were handled promptly and packed in a professional manner. I would recommend them based on my experience.

5. pbryan

pbryan Member

Same here.

6. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

apmex is good for bullion. purchased from them several times. If you pay by check you save a little. Max order per credit card is $2500.00

7. coinbuff

coinbuff Senior Member

Apmex...
    You can use a credit card up to $2500.00 as Harry said - but the merchant card fees are added to the insured shipping/handling fees when you do use a card.
    I have used a credit card (for the convenience) when the price of what I bought justified the extra in fees.
    They are quite reasonable pricewise, compared to their competition, also.

8. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Yes, they nail you for 3% of the subtotal which can add up on larger orders, but you can save 3% off the merchant card fee's if you pay by check, MO, wire. Min order of $50 also.

http://www.apmex.com/FAQ/Default.aspx#shipping

9. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

gainesville coins ( in person, long beach show)

Internet, I have used apmex

my bank gives me free cashiers checks :) Plus after this banking extortion i try an limit my CC use. eff wallstreet

My only gripe with apmex is there spot price is slightler higher than the markets & when silver hit the lows around $8 there website was mysteriously down "cough" Bullsh*t

The best way to use them is to save your $$$$ for when they have big sales! there sales are great!

I plan on using tulving when i ever get a good entry point for gold

10. HardMoney

HardMoney New Member

I haved used BullionDirect - no problems and they seem to usually have the best prices(?)

11. coinbuff

coinbuff Senior Member

I agree.
    You can sign up on their email list at the web site - and you'll get notified of sales via email.

12. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

Many orders from Apmex.com Each one 100% satisified

I've recently started using Bulliondirect too....

I think I've mentioned before that you can create an account there and throw a couple hundred at it each week, till you got a good chunk built up, then issue a buy for whatever you are looking at.... I like it...

Alot of traders there trying to buy low and sell high....

13. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

any well known big bullion dealers.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not quite, some of those well known bullion dealers that advertise on TeeVee have had some legal issues with misrepresentation, non-delivery etc. You can look them up in google and find out for yourself by searching on those names.

15. AshcraftCoin

AshcraftCoin Member

Bullion Direct - Have not bought, but I would feel totally comfortable with sending them my money based on my research from awhile back. Their product listings seem a little vague though.

Apmex - Have spent a very large sum with them in the last several months. Minor Complaints: It took an extra long time to send confirmation on 1 bank wire... usually same day. The last batch of SilverTownes I bought off them were not that great looking (ill-formed sides and "toothed" edges). I just got some Wall Street Mints in that have the same problem to a lesser extent. Of course, that is a mint issue, but still aggravating. Look, personally, I don't care too much about condition as long as a 10 T Oz bar weighs 311 grams (or very close to it) and the silver is .999 fine! However, some of my buyers do care what they look like. Bottom line though... you send them money... they send you silver.

I think you mean NWT? Anyway, the price seems right, but lead times are way, way too long based on my conversations with other dealers. Also, some bad press on them floating around.

Regards,
    Michael

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

thanks guys keep the comments coming in. I didn't know that AMPEX did sales. I'll have to sign up for the email messages.

17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I've had nothing but great experiences with APMEX, despite the hefty premiums for shipping and credit card orders. So far no complaints there whatsoever.

18. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

I've had very good luck over the years with Paul Sims, Coast to Coast (a little high, but nice selection), APMEX (don't care for their credit card surcharge, but otherwise decent), my local dealer Liberty Coins, in Lansing, MI.

peace,

rono

19. These Members of the Certified Gold Exchange are not bad places to start with when looking for a gold dealer. Call around to get the best deal!
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans][/FONT]
    A-Mark Precious Metals, Inc.

Santa Monica, CA

(1) 310-319-0371

American Precious Metals Exchange

Edmond, OK

(1) 405-330-4222

Blanchard & Co., Inc.

New Orleans, LA

(1) 504-837-3010

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans] California Numismatic Funding

Vista, CA

(1) 760-758-1200
    [/FONT]

Coin & Bullion Reserves

Panama City, FL

(1) 850-785-9546

Dollar Towne

Bell Brook, OH

(1) 937-848-6231

Fred Coops & Company

Redlands, CA

(1) 909-792-2511

Gainesville Coins, Inc.

Tampa, FL

(1) 352-514-3700

Goldline International

Santa Monica, CA

(1) 310-587-1483

Lakeshore Numismatic Investment Corp.

Northbrook, IL

(1) 847-498-0050

Spectrum Numismatics Int'l., Inc.

Irvine, CA

(1) 949-955-1250

20. AshcraftCoin

AshcraftCoin Member

I don't blame APMEX from charging a 3% fee for credit card orders. It might cost them around that to take the payment. I know from experience... the margin on bullion can (sometimes) be very small, so they need to cover their bases.

I will say you guys should check into a Bank Wire. They are not as hard as they sound... once your bank has the info it may be as easy as calling them and telling them an amount to send. Every time I buy from a larger dealer than me I print off the wire info and take it to my Credit Union... they keep it on file and then I just to call and tell them to who and how much I want to send.

Yes, there is a $14 fee and at a bank it could be up to about $29, but it is still cheaper than the credit card fee. With APMEX you have up to 5 business days to actually get the money to them via Bank Wire and they usually send you an email confirmation the same day stating that they received it... so, theoretically... you could order today, wire today, order would get shipped by Thur this week (latest) and received by Thurs next week (varies). If you are real lucky and only order in stock items... the order could be there by Sat for a Monday morning order. ;)

Regards,
    Michael

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I am surprised that bullion dealers would even take credit cards. Not surprised that they would charge the 3% though. A lot of coin dealers will not take credit cards unless it is non-bullion collectible type stuff.

Bank wires for significant purchases are the way to go, and credit cards are a no no.

Draft saved Draft deleted