Which bullion coin to buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ahearn, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ahearn

ahearn Member

I have been buying assorted silver bullion -- bars as well as coins -- but am wondering what bullion coin (ASE, Maple Leaf, Panda, Kook, Kaola, Philharmonic, Britannia, Libertad, etc.) has the best possibility of numismatic value in the future.

I plan to invest a significant amount of money but would like to buy the bullion coin that offers the best combination of future bullion value and numismatic value, based on limited annual mintage, collectibility, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

ASE's seem to be goodies :D

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

ASEs are best in my opinion. Someday the Mint will discontinue the series and it may almost immediately start to develop a numismatic premium.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have been accumulating a little of each over the past few years but don't have any from China. When looking at eBay auctions the highest bids are for the 2002 Britannia. I paid $16.16 for mine at auction. The 2002 Britannia
    sells for $30 or more, don't know why. Libertads also bring good money.
    ASEs are probably the easiest to resell.

6. ahearn

ahearn Member

True, ASEs are the most common and are easiest to resell but, in my opinion have the lowest potential for ever having any numismatic value. Sure, the mint may someday stop making them but even if they stopped today, it would take 50-75 years or more for them having any hope of numismatic value.

It seems to me that Britannias or Kooks that have limited mintage would not only maintain the same bullion value as ASEs but also have a fair chance at also gaining some numismatic value in a much shorter time than ASEs.

7. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I think the Pandas are the most collectable and would have a higher international collector value over time. Other than a couple of older dates, I just don't see most ASE's going up in value.

8. holz

holz holz

Look at the 2008 Unc or proof W buffalo fractionals. Very low mintage and everbody loves the Buffalos.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't see demand for ASEs abating any time soon, so if the series was discontinued and demand stayed relatively high, the increase in numismatic value would be almost immediate. I don't think the other silver coins that are floating around with intentional small mintages to give the illusion of rarity having the potential of the classic ASE design. I think they will be thought of more as silver rounds in the future.

But these are only your opinion and my opinion, so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted