Where can I sell junk silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by IJW, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I think referring to them as a buyer is generous. I don't know to many people that own silver that wouldn't buy at 8x if they have the money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Why would a dealer be mad? It's not like it's a big secret that we have to make money on what we buy. As long as the profit margin is reasonable... I don't see why people would get upset by that...

4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Not talking about eBay. I am saying 13X face is high for the open section of Coin Talk.

5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The same guys are paying $13 a gram for gold (scrap). Still $27 a gram is a lot of margin. But if you don't have the volume, I guess you have to widen the spread. Personally, I take my things to Los Angeles and forget about these Las Vegas guys. I don't think you can get a fair shake here at all, so why even bother with them ? Nearly all my items are purchased in So Cal too. I mean we're talking 20-30% variation in prices and a more trusted vendor to boot.

6. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

what I'm saying is, as investors, we don't need a cycling inventory. As dealers you do. So, the price is set by the the one who owns it, the seller no matter what side of the counter they are on.

Some dealers are fair, but I see some on here that have said they offer $60 for an ounce of scrap gold. Telling the seller, "you set the price based on the current spot price" would **** off a lot of these cash for gold guys. They do hang out here, I've seen a few. They don't want an informed buyer, they want one that isn't informed.

The previous comment was to tone those guys down in this discussion, and so far it seems to have worked.

7. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Love it!

8. we're lucky over here, i've just sold my old pre-decimal silver coins (metal detecting finds) to a bullion company, they paid for the transport up to brisbane. i had 3 kilos of pre 1946 coins (92.5% silver) and 5 kilos of post 1946 silver coins(50% silver) they paid $3,445 australian, enough to put a solar hot water system on my roof. mike.

9. 50cent

50cent What A steal

easy and simple go to your local coin shop.

10. 50cent

50cent What A steal

easy and simple go to your local coin shop see if they will buy the junk silver

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I take it that ASE is silver rounds? I was just thinking that I have a lot of these things and small bars laying around from odd lot purchases on Ebay. If I wanted to liquidate them do you think I post them on CT? I have a ton of old silver coins but I never sell coins, but silver rounds to me are just junk.

12. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Go to the open section and list them. You might need to ask them to give you clearance because of your limited number of posts, you have enough to list, but it might not be "on" for you yet. Just ask if it is not available.

13. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

It is more than 9%. It is 9% of final value, plus a couple dollars to list it, and don't forget PayPal takes their fee. On average, 10% is a close estimate. At least, that is what i go by.

14. domdino

domdino Junior Member

Many thanks for contributing that input SilverSurfer! Your post has enlightened myself and perhaps many neophytes out there. 12.5 X face value as a melt down value. Right on.

15. domdino

domdino Junior Member

Silver collection

Make of it what you will...

Bottom row= Wisconsin w/ die gouge errors. War nickles. Various junk Silver. Silver bars & Proofs. Expert Marksmanship medal. Ellis Island commemoratives.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted