Whats your PM buy and sale philosophy ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jun 2, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I posted this question to see how other members buy and sale there PMS
    be it Gold, Silver or what ever.

And to see where your limits are ?

For example i am in build mode, so i buy at least 5=10 OZ a week and
    then make a major purchase for example bought a 1 KILO BAR last
    month and i started buying gold as well :)

I still think Silver is a bargain as long as it stays under $19 an OZ and
    I am trying to buy as much as i can now, not sure it will be dropping
    on the radical side anytime soon, well atleast i hope not !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

I use PM's as my "forced savings". I do side jobs, I scrap a lot and buy PM's with the money I get from that stuff so I don't dip into my regular paycheck for it. Since it's in physical form it forces me to save the money rather than being in my normal account where it would most likely end up spent.

Since I don't have any more credit cards and live on cash, when I need to buy something big, I will seek to cash out to help pay for it.

For example a couple years ago I needed a new car. I happen to know well the owners of one of the local family owned car dealerships so I was able to take a pile of it over there and use it as a down payment so I could finance a lesser amount. It helps when you know someone who is also into PM's and willing to take it as trade :)

So, I buy whenever I get money from my side efforts, and sell when I need to, otherwise it sits and accumulates. I don't watch the price, I don't care about it. Some may say its foolish and I'm "losing" money by doing it this way, but honestly it doesn't bother me. I'm not looking to use this as my retirement. Besides, I figure the money I'm not spending in interest on my credit cards for carrying a balance more then offsets the buy/sell penalty I'm taking.

Bman33 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like to buy low and sell high. Buy on the slumps and sell on the peaks. It's down just over $17.00 per ounce so I'll be buying another 100 to 200 G-4 silver dollars today. Silver Dollars are a great way to own silver.

mpcusa and slackaction1 like this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I don't collect rounds or bars. Just ASEs
    And I buy them in minimum $100 at a time (for free shipping). But only when the total price (spot + premium) is below $20, on avg below 18 so far.

I'm in no hurry, so I just wait for the downswings.
    I haven't sold any. They're too pretty to sell. :)

slackaction1 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I treat coins and bullion the same. It's money I could afford to loose but know there will always be some value. If silver goes crazy, I would sell it all.

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Buy when I have spare FRNs I won't need for anything else in the foreseeable future. Sell? What is that?

8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I go by my Granddad's philosophy.......

"You can never loose money taking a profit."

gronnh20 and Santinidollar like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For me, gold has been trading in such a tight range that I see no advantage to either buying or selling now. When I do buy, it's one-ounce AGEs.

harrync likes this.
  10. mpcusa

Looking to buy another 10-20 OZ,S of silver today depending on whats in stock also
    thinking about buying some 1/10 OZ AGE,S

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've been trading silver for over a year and also have some gold. The longer I look at this stuff day to day the crazier I get. I'm just about to sell it all and focus more on numismatics. I will still coin roll hunt halves. Something my girlfriend (soon to be fiance!) and I like to do after work on a Friday night.

Garlicus likes this.
  12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Buy low sell high?

13. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Geez. Roll hunting after work on Friday nights.......

....I sure remember when I was young and spry.......

14. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

I enjoy collecting. I also enjoy supplementing my savings with precious metals.

I've noticed a lot of people around me (on forums like these, at shows, etc.) get a little crazy with stacking and accumulating.

For me, I'm happy digging through a bin of government issued silver from around the world and picking out pieces of interest to me that also have some metal value.
    In terms of my overall mentality of investing, I also buy a couple ounces of gold per year in forms that I enjoy.

15. mpcusa

Actually in the process of re routing my MPC buys to Bullion, though i have several
    One of a kind issues, i cant just go in to the coin store and sell them very few people
    Are aware of these or no much about them but they are worth a substantial amount
    of money :)

Draft saved Draft deleted