Whats your highest premium silver coin?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Rufio, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Rufio

Rufio New Member

I was wondering what everyones highest premium silver coin is that they purchased.

Also do you think high relief proof or referse proof coins are worth the price?

I notice alot of silver bullion collectors try to collect closest to spot as possible but wondering how many actually build there stacks on a collection standpoint as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Probably this one. It came free with the set.
    !BbOo7S!BGk~$(KGrHqUH-D!Epk1eu122BKu-oFo,9Q~~_12.jpg

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the '95 PF70UCAM(DCAM) was selling for $9K at one time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head, the Dan Carr's 1964 Morgan dollars.

6. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Top Auction is a touch over 86k for 1995-W PCGS PF70DCAM

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will add my two cents for what its worth, but there is no reason to grade
    a bullion style coin, my question is why ?? most bullion coins are issued
    By the government and already come in a high grade so the puprpose to
    me makes no sense at all !!

8. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

The highest premium silver item that I currently have is a 2017 American Liberty 1-oz .999 silver medal.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

1866 3 cent silver.... 0.75g... call it 38c of silver at today's spot.

10. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

I'm getting the idea that the purpose is for the graders to make money, and for the Collectors to feel like they are collecting something MORE valuable than the bullion coin itself. "Proof" Bullion coins seem to be issued for this reason - as collectibles. Heck, everything that isn't scratched-up and/or tarnished, or isn't simply "BU" seems to be collectible. Even Bullion. So grading it adds a value to its Collectibility. If people will pay more for it, then it's worth more. The purpose in it is the market demand for it. Supply and demand - that's what it's all about in a free market. (In a controlled market it's all about the manipulation, but that's a whole "nother" story.) That's my 2-cents FWIW.

11. mpcusa

That,s the trap most fall in to all my Gold and Silver coins are gem B/U so
    why pay more for anything else, there comes to a point were your just throwing
    Your money away! especially for investing purposes !!

12. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Not if you can sell them down the line for more than you paid for them. That's part of investing - making a profit. The profit can be made on the silver or gold value of the coin OR on the demand, rarity and collectibility of the coin if it is graded or special in some other way that people would pay more for. All are a valid investment if you believe the coin can be sold later on for more than you paid for it.

13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

The ASEs I purchased back when PMs were in a bubble.

-jeffB likes this.
  14. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

In terms of appreciation - maybe my 20th Anniversary silver eagle set. In terms of premium I paid ...just cause I wanted it - a Canadian superman coin in display box. Nothing dramatic though.

15. mpcusa

anything 10 Percent over spot...

Draft saved Draft deleted