What's your favorite Silver to buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Was wondering what form of Silver Bullion folks on here like to buy (Rounds, Bars, Coins, 90% junk). I like rounds because they are easy to stack and I Don't get nailed for a higher premium that doesn't pan out when I try to sell it back.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like the one on the left........

Chris

Enterprise vs. Morgan.JPG

Nathan401 and smarch like this.
  4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I like 1oz rounds and 5 / 10+ ounce bars. They are easy to add up and multiply by spot for value. Providing they are .999 fine.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

How do you stack your bars when they have the protective plastic bag?

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Some of the 5 ounce come in plastic airtites, mostly art bars. The larger pieces are in airtite sealed plastic wrap. Simply laying them flat about 5 to 6 high in my safe, keeps them organize. I have not had a problem with either sliding around, except by my clumsy handling. :>)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have a small ammo can that doesn't work well if I want to put my rounds and coins in.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

When I was buying, 90%. Haven't bought since prices went up a few years ago.

9. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

I've been stuck on eagles but only because I hear about counterfeit bullion ocassionally. I figure eagles could be counterfeited too but it personally seems less likely. I've just about reached a milestone and will be switching to private rounds completely in the near future. Have picked up some interesting ones in small quantities from time to time.

I don't know and I really mean that, I don't know. That's why I come to sites like this. Just trying to save for when my body is no longer able to work.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I really like the designs on a lot of the rounds coming out of Australia

11. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'll always pick up junk/scrap in almost any form if the price is right. Sterling silverware, coins/tokens, jewelry.

One time I picked up what came to be a big jar of home made dental silver, or possibly leftover silver solder (I think?) No clue as to what it was for, just big chunks of metal that had been heated into lumps. It was something that the TSA had confiscated. I picked up the jar for $60 at a gov't auction - total gamble. Everyone said I was nuts. :) No way to test it, just figured I'd gamble. If I was out $60, so be it. If I was in the money - it was huge.

We put it in a spectral analyzer last year and it turned out to be 38.4 ozt of metal that was ~73% silver. I think I sold it when silver was around $15/ozt. I got $400 for it the entire jar from the smelter.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

When I trade precious metals, I generally use an exchange traded fund. Easy to get into, easy to get out of.

13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Whatever is the cheapest ;) Which is usually world silver.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  14. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Just get an empty RCM monster box and toss in all your generic stuff, plastic or not. Its generic silver that is bought and sold with little to no premium. It doesn't need anything special.

In regards to your original question. I enjoy old US 90% coinage and even 40%/35% if I can find it at the right price. For modern bullion, I like silver eagles and the annual lunar stuff from Perth. Something about those frosty large format coins really gets my money spending juices flowing. :D I also have small bits of various Canadian and generic bullion.

SilverTracker likes this.
  15. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

It is whatever bullion coin roll I am trying to finish. At the moment it is an ASE roll and after that I am going to do a Canadian Maple Leaf roll.

I also fancy foreign bullion coins like the Panda's and Brittania's

Bman33 likes this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

ST, have you seen the Canadian Maple Supermans? Beautiful coins.

17. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

American Silver Eagles

Canadian Silver Maple Leafs

Austria Philharmonic Silver Rounds

Mexican Libertads

British Britannia's

2 oz. Elemental rounds (Cleopatra, Anubis, etc).

2 oz. rounds of any kind

90% Junk silver

Englehard 10oz bars

Johnson & Matthey bars...

so yeah I have a lot of favorites...hee hee hee ;););)

18. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I like pre-1964 American silver coins and ASE's.

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The majority of my silver is in US coins (silver eagles, collector pucks, 90% US silver coins, and 40% US silver coins). I also have quite a bit of Canadian silver coins probably followed by a variety of silver rounds. I'm not counting my Roth IRA contribution into SLV.

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Easy to tax... :bag:

Paul M. likes this.
  21. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

P1040167.JPG

Any silver picked up for melt value or less, and you can actually use a lot of it day to day. More than you can say for bars and rounds unless you need a lot of paperweights.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted