What's Wrong with My Safe?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 30, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If the plastic bag doesn't work out, I'd consider dumping the contents out, baking, then refilling and taping the bag. Or just putting the stuff into a cotton bag. But then, I'm really cheap.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I just put 9 packets in oven. Plastic bags all melted. I'll need a new desiccant soon. Any suggestions?

SilverSurfer415 likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You can buy -- cheap -- a rechargeable dehumidifier that slips into a safe. When the color indicator changes, you just plug it into the wall for a few hours. Any safe dealer has them and probably Amazon, too.

5. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

How big is the safe? If it is about t=6't, 3'd, 3.5 w and if it has a lifting access hole on the top, [ place in some silicone sealer at this point to seal, place some tape on the inside so the sealer will not fall out]. Find a safe's electrical dryer and get one. It is usually about 24" to 28" long.They will keep everything dry. There will be no need for silica packs. I have used one for about 20 years ans it's still doing it's job so far. I never turn it off, no need to. I have coins and currency and have had no problems.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I don't discuss my security setup on line, but in a couple of places I use 200 gram packs similar or identical to this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/112388021918

In my camera bags and smaller places, I use 40 gram packs similar or identical to these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221299011340

You do have to be a bit careful recharging the latter style, though. I had come apart while I was taking it out of the over and create quite a mess.

Blue79 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot......you gonna cook in that oven again? The wife used to fool around with polymer clay and we bought one of these.........

spin_prod_219485301.jpg

8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Metal SAFE Corrosion Inhibitor cubes that JP's Corner has for sale?
    Steve

10. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

What color were the pellets to start with? If they were the blue ones that turn pink when used, then those definitely look like they need to be dried out.

Fire rated safes are usually sealed pretty well with a gasket around the door. If you are in a humid area, you are trapping that moisture in the box. If the safe is cool, then you may also be condensing that moisture out of the air.

I would recommend picking up some humidity indicator strips. They are cheap and will let you know if you know roughly how much humidity you are dealing with. You might need to use a larger dehumidifier. I use one of those metal jar silica dehumidifiers.

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

To answer your question you first need to know the humidity in your house and/or safe.

If the safe is not sealed then there will be easy "humid air" flow between the outside and inside of the safe.

You may or may not have a seal between the door and the box, and any holes to the floor/back.

You may want to get 2 of these, one to put in the safe and one on top just to analyze over time. they'll show you if the humidity is rising or falling trend too.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-0032...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MTV1NXSRQEWHZHVZ33PM

The higher the humidity in the safe/house the faster your packets will need recharging. The only way to figure that out is to know the humidity.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I open my safe a lot during the week. That could be the problem even if I live in a dry climate.

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

You could store individual groups of coins in large zip-lock bags, each with silica in them. That way there's less air in them to dehumidify, and more likelihood you won't open each bag every time you open the safe.

Bman33 and -jeffB like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Yes, as mentioned above. Probably best to compartmentalize your stuff in your safe by category (or something). ZipLock bags or air-tight containers each with their own dehumidification separating your stuff in different categories if you can.

Bman33 likes this.
  15. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea..

16. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

It is most likely due to insulation / and fire retardant meshing.. it causes humidity and get a firearms safe if you want to neutrailze it you can take the insulation out

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

17. M_Town

M_Town New Member

I cut open a bunch of desiccant packs from machinery shipped over seas a couple years ago and dumped into an aluminum roasting dish. Every couple months I dry out the desiccant in the oven at 200 degrees overnight and put back into the safe and never had any problems. It does get humid in the DFW area some times.

18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This is what I want. Can't find them on the web.

19. Clawcoins

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

21. Clawcoins

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted