Whats this worth? Pamphylia, Side AR Tetradrachm Ch VF NGC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Goldstone, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

I think you should bid on a coin rather than buying it for a fixed price but make sure you buy its from a reputable coin seller on Ebay or whatever auction and maybe post some pictures on here to see what other people think. I think bidding will get you a much better deal and some left over pocket money for maybe another coin. It might take a while for something that you want to come up for auction but it will be worth the wait I'm sure! Although that is a nice coin on the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AN-ANCIENT-SI..._Ancient_RL?hash=item3cabfaad50#ht_1682wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Sil...Ancient_RL?hash=item35a88b8bf5#ht_1693wt_1165

As you can see there is a dramatic difference in price but you can get a beautiful coin from the same period for a lot cheaper than you probably thought.

Frank.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gao

Gao Member

I'm going to have to stop you there. Someone's Ebay rating is not a good indication if they're selling legitimate coins. Those who know enough about ancient coins simply don't bid on auctions for fake coins. If one doesn't buy the coin, one can't give a negative rating. This means most sellers of fakes actually have very good ratings on Ebay. The best way to check is to ask around with experienced collectors to see who's good, and to make sure that they're not on this list.

In addition, both coins you listed are from sellers who obviously don't specialize in ancients, which means they probably would have no idea if they had a fake on their hands. In fact, both of those look wrong to me, though I'm not a collector of Greek coins, so I can't give a definitive answer right now. In any case, I would stay away from both auctions unless you find someone who knows these coins well enough to really give you some assurance of authenticity.

4. FrankPlantagenet

I appreciate what your saying but it was just an idea.

5. Gao

Gao Member

Just be careful about sounding like an expert in a field you don't specialize in, as it's really hard for someone who isn't to tell if you are unless they look up your posting history.

6. FrankPlantagenet

I never said I was an expert. I was just suggesting an idea.

7. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

Thank you very much guys, I haven't made any purchases yet, but I'm looking to spend 400-500, so probably a mid line ancient nothing too nice...and I will certainly do more homework before I purchase... I honestly don't even know what type of ancient to buy lol

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

You can find some ancients in killer condition under $100 or $50

9. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

Real bummer the guy raised the price,what a **** I would def stay certified if possible.This way there is a guarantee in case of any issues.The one on the website you show'd looks nice,actually it looks like the obverse strike is more center.Maybe a good idea is also to watch auctions.they usually dont get top dollar for auctions.I do prefer the BIN stuff.But sometimes auctions is a good place to look.I love to shop,so ill keep an eye out too.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

just wanted to add :

"Authenticity — NGC Ancients will only grade coins that it believes to be genuine. Authenticity and attribution represent the opinion of NGC Ancients and are not guaranteed, nor is any guarantee implied. Please see the NGC Ancients Coin Grading Guarantee for complete information."

11. roscoe15059

roscoe15059 Junior Member

i have a 2004 proof gold locomotive 2 pound coin and a 2 piece jubilee sovereign BU set that i would like to know the value of these gold coins if anyone can help me.

12. FrankPlantagenet

You could get such a lovely Saxon penny for that price...

13. Gao

Gao Member

Post a new thread on it in this subforum.

14. FrankPlantagenet

Back seat mod?

15. roscoe15059

roscoe15059 Junior Member

Thanks. I am pretty new to posting to forums...so I put the post in the subforum section.

16. FrankPlantagenet

lol ok. Welcome to ct.

17. Goldstone

Ah..wow The NGC "GUARANTEE" isn't really a gaurntee... wow

18. FrankPlantagenet

I don't understand..?

19. Goldstone

NGC only suggests they think its real, but it may not be..

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah, but theres great dealers around like Forvm and on vcoins with guarantees . The only authentication for ancients I know of is DAVID R. SEAR but I dont know much about him, but he's been recommended to me.

21. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

There are good reasons not to have Ancient coins slabbed. They include:

-Once a coin is slabbed in plastic, one cannot enjoy the tactile experience of holding a piece of history.
    -There is a greater temptation to treat slabbed coins as commodities to be flipped and traded.
    -NGC does not guarantee the slabbed coins for authenticity.

That said...

NGC Ancients has directed by David Vagi since its inception last year. Vagi is a noted scholar and authority on Ancient coins (and other ancient antiquities). He is a highly respected author who has written many articles for The Chelator, a magazine for collectors of Ancient coins and artifacts. He has also written the two volume book Coinage and History of the Roman Empire. He is also a frequent and popular speaker at the ANA summer seminars.

I think one can put their confidence in any coin authenticated and attributed by Vagi. (Unlike some serious, but still amateur hobbyists, Vagi has been doing Ancient authentications for a living since the 90's.) Vagi is the consummate and total professional.

No offense to the dealers at the FORVM or Vcoins, but a Vagi authentication means more to me than their sincere and honest efforts.

Unlike many Ancient (or any other) coin collectors, I would like any expensive coin I plan to buy (especially over the internet) to be at least certified by an expert. (Then again, I'm not a coin collector and most anyone would be considered an expert compared to me.) :smile

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted