What's a "Good Deal" for different types of bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by WRSiegel, Nov 20, 2019.

1. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Hi All,

I'm looking to see if there's a good reference out there for what one should expect to pay for a premium for bullion from a percentage standpoint. There likely isn't one answer to this as premiums tend to fluctuate when metals are on the way up or down. I also understand that ideally you wouldn't pay any premium, and those deals arise from time to time.

I focus on only a few categories, and so am wondering what you all consider a good premium to pay for the following

$10 Face 90% Junk Silver
    Pre 1933 US Gold
    ASE
    Maple Leaf
    Gold Sovereigns
    90% US Silver Dollars

As this is a broad question where answers can and will vary, feel free to include whatever caveats are needed :)

People here are also great at understanding what I'm trying to ask instead of what i'm actually asking, so if you feel this question can be phrased differently to be more clear, please chime in there as well!

Best,
    Will

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Check out online dealers and see what their buyback prices are relative to spot and relative to their sell price. This will give you an idea of a typical spread. Then, that will tell you what price you pay would constitute a good deal.

Generally speaking, a one oz silver Maple Leaf or Eagle at around 5% over spot is always a good deal to me. That's because I know I should always be able to sell it back for spot to between 5% over. Therefore, it's a low risk buy.

Generic rounds and bars (10oz or under) will be bought back below spot. So, a good deal is at spot or under.

Gold? Buy your ounces in ultra secure ways. As far as I'm concerned, that means only 2013-present Maples.
    If you have throwing around money for 1/10 oz pieces because you collect then, shoot for as much under 10% as possible, because buyback on these will be all over the place.

As far as junk silver, coin roll hunt for that. Face is a good deal.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Pick up what you can as low priced as possible. Call your LCS and find out how much silver is selling for.

Draft saved Draft deleted