What would you choose and why

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Herberto, Jul 29, 2019.

?

What would you choose if you could pick one:

1. Krugerrand

7.7%
  2. Eagle

28.8%
  3. Buffalo

15.4%
  4. Maple Leaf

30.8%
  5. Philharmoniker

3.8%
  6. I don't care. They are all good.

13.5%
  1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You have to learn how to drive before you actually do drive :)

4. mpcusa

Finer quality gold ?? over what ??, you either have 22K or 24K
    And there are many choices in each category to choose from,
    For me personally 1 OZ gold is 1 OZ of gold purity makes no
    Difference.

5. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

That would be me Mr. Root and I apologize its my own fault as I have 10 yrs education and a piece of paper says 12. I have made it 65 years and with this no education cant see myself returning anytime soon.

6. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I have a Buffalo and an Eagle, the Maple is next. Living in USA i would stick to mostly North American Gold.... although I have had my eye on a Pamp Suisse 1oz gold bar :)

7. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I own an example of every coin listed and they are all about the same....I’m a fan of the Libertard(not listed)

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The whole conversation around purity is more appropriate concerning silver. If there is a smelting charge, it is a higher percentage versus value for silver, (by a factor of 100), than for gold

Living in the US, I chose the Eagle since it will have more market acceptability here.

9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Maple Leaf, because it's beautiful.

Also because I'm falling so far out of favor with the US Mint. They've done nothing but disappoint me for almost a decade now.

10. medoraman

Eh, I was thinking that but have been getting into proof platinum lately. I find the series surprisingly beautiful.

I got burned WAY too often on milk spots from the Canadians to ever trust that mint again, and find those lines really ugly and distracting.

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Yep!
    But milk spots are on silver only. And for the last two years, they are a thing of the past.

So when all is said and done, the US mint is too rigid about the variety of items they make. Their quality control generally sucks. The Canadian mint has too much variety and their silver milk spotted until 2018 releases. Their gold is 9999 and features the world's strongest security features. What's not to love?

However, the US mint did make commemorative Mercury and Kennedy gold! They are gorgeous. Unfortunately, too much of a premium.

masterswimmer likes this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Contrary to my previous post about my recent disdain for the US Mint, I did pick up the Mercury gold. Just too beautiful a specimen to pass up. They did limit the mintage, so that sealed the deal.

The Mints unlimited production is what continually sours me on their offerings.

13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

you should have bought the fist spouse series then

masterswimmer likes this.
  14. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the whole issue with Purity and 91.7% vs 99% and 1 ounce coins and how much gold is in a 1oz gold coin and what Purity means if it's not how much gold is in the coin.

I was under the impression that 91.7% purity (or whatever the AGE is) means that a 1oz AGE has LESS gold in the coin than a 1oz GML.

And now I am very confused about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.

15. medoraman

All 1 ounce gold coins have one net ounce of gold. If it is less than .999 purity, the coin will simply weigh more than an ounce, the difference being the other metals in the alloy.

Good Cents likes this.
  16. spenser

spenser Active Member

Me Either! Learn something new every day.

SorenCoins likes this.
  17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

.999 is 24K too.

18. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

.999 is not 22K

19. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Thank you for explaining that. So it really doesn't matter what the purity of a 1 ounce gold coin is because you wind up with 1 ounce of gold either way.

If that is the case, why does the gold purity matter to people?

Another question - does this rule also apply to Silver 1-ounce coins?

mpcusa likes this.
  20. mpcusa

That,s accurate, you just get a purer form with 24K, but it makes no difference
    22k just has other medals in it to make it more durable.

21. medoraman

The same rule applies to silver, but different consequences. The reason purity matters is if someone wants to melt and use it, there would be a smelting fee for anything less than .999 pure, if someone required pure metal. For gold, this essay fee would be trivial versus the value of the metal. However, for silver it could be 10% of the value of the metal, so sizable if the buyer wanted .999 silver. That is why I say it's a bigger deal for silver than gold.

Good Cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted