What would be the correct RIC? Faustina bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Despite tuning down on the Roman coins, I couldn't resist this hefty bronze piece of Faustina.
    upload_2021-4-14_21-42-54.png
    DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA // PIETAS AVG, SC in field.
    16.85g; 31.2 mm

I'm not quite sure what to make of it though. RIC 1192, so a dupondius? Or 1194; an as? The weight seems to be the closest to the dupondius. Would appreciate if someone could provide me with the correct ID.

From the same haul:
    upload_2021-4-14_21-46-22.png
    Syria, Commagene. Zeugma. Philip I. A.D. 244-249. Æ 29 (28.8 mm, 18.62 g, 12 h). AYTO K K M IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CЄB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; uncertain countermark / ZЄΓMA-TЄΩN, tetrastyle temple with peribolos containing grove of trees; capricorn right below.

This coin is somewhat difficult to photograph due to its glossy brown patina. This is how it looks 'in hand':
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-14 at 21.50.27.jpeg
    It probably deserves a thread on its own, however, I lack time to properly write it down.

Post any coins you deem relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

At first site, I thought Faustina coin is a Sestertius. The second coin has Zeus in the upper temple. The C/M is very common on that coin. I have one.

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

DonnaML likes this.
  5. Roerbakmix

ambr0zie likes this.
  6. 7Calbrey

Here's mine for the second coin. I think it's Philip II with the same reverse. SGI 4142.
    Philpos 2 O    SGI 4142.JPG Philp II  R Zeugma.JPG

7. 7Calbrey

The countermark would be of an eagle with closed wings. BMC 37.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I think the OP coin is a dupondius, Here's my Faustina Pietas sestertius:

P1180315Pietas (2).JPG

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Where’s @Roman Collector when you need him!!

I’m turning on the bat signal

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this one and it's challenging. Its diameter is very large and yet it doesn't quite have the boardwalk flan one might expect if a middle bronze had been struck on a thin, large diameter flan intended for the denomination.

This is my version (veiled and stephaned bust) of the coin.

Faustina Sr PIETAS AVG S C candelabrum sestertius veiled and stephaned.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 28.18 g, 33.1 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 143-145.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVS-TA FAVSTINA, veiled and stephaned bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG S C, Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, dropping incense out of right hand over lighted 'candelabrum-altar', left, and holding box in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1146Ac; BMCRE 1447-50; Cohen --; Strack 1241; RCV --.

The die diameter -- measured from beaded rim to beaded rim across the center, is quite large, 33 mm. The British Museum specimen with the same bust type as the OP is a whopping 34.2 mm in diameter!

There is no way the die diameter on the obverse of the OP is 33 mm. It looks more like 30 mm if the coin is 31 mm in diameter. But 30 mm is generous for a middle bronze and the die diameter of the reverse is even larger -- the beaded rim doesn't even fit on the reverse.

Here's the dupondius version in my collection (again, I have only the veiled bust version).

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 10.26 g, 27.4 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 140-41.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVS-TA FAVSTINA, veiled and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG S C, Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, dropping incense out of right hand over lighted "candelabrum-altar," left, and holding box in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 1192Ab; BMCRE 1472; Cohen 241; Strack 1241; RCV --.

The die diameter is 26 mm, as one would expect. Note, too, this weighs only 10.26 g, whereas the OP coin is 60% heavier.

I'm going to say the OP is a SESTERTIUS, based upon the size of the dies, but it's struck on a smaller and light-weight flan.

That would make the coin RIC 1146Aa; BMCRE 1442; Cohen —; Strack 1241.

11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Here is one that is a bit strange - 32 mm but only 13.70 grams (very thin flan). I posted this a while back:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/faustina-i-sestertius-or-dupondius.317204/#post-3092549

Faustina sest or what May 24 2018.jpg
    Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    (Struck on dupondius flan?)
    3rd Phase, part 2: wedding of Faustina II to M. Aurelius
    (c. 145-150 A.D.) Rome Mint

[DIVA] FAVSTINA, draped bust right / AVGV[ST]A S-C, Ceres standing left with short torch and corn ears.
    RIC 1118; Cohen 88.
    (13.70 grams / 32 mm)

12. Roerbakmix

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

I agree with @Roman Collector that its size should make this coin a sestertius rather than a middle bronze.

However the coin has a somewhat funny look to me, as though it might be a modern cast with light tooling to strengthen details. That could explain the very low weight for an Antonine sestertius, since a forger can of course raise or lower the weights of his products as he likes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Roman Collector, DonnaML and dougsmit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted