Faustina I - Sestertius or Dupondius?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, May 28, 2018.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I know it can be tough determining an As vs. a Dupondius, especially for empresses, but I have never been confused by a Sestertius vs. Dupondius.

I recently got a Faustina I bronze that is puzzling me. It's diameter is definitely sestertius size - 32mm. But its weight is only 13.7 grams. Even allowing for wear, this is light for a sestertius of this era. But I have never seen a dupondius this wide before. It is considerably thinner than other sestertii I have handled - only about 1-2 mm. Except for the thinness/width oddity, it looks legit to me, but I am quite new at Roman AEs.

The photos show this Faustina with a sestertius of Antoninus Pius that is virtually the same diameter (31-32 mm) but weighs 24.25 grams - clearly the Antoninus is a sestertius. It is very chunky - about 3-4 mm thick.

My question is: is a "wide" dupondius something anybody else has seen? Or do I have some kind of light (or fake) sestertius?

Thank you!

Antoninus Pius - Faustina comparison May 24 2018.jpg

Antoninus Pius - Faustina comparison May 24 2018a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have several dozen bronze coins of Faustina I. The middle bronzes really are only 26 mm or so. I suspect it was just struck on a lightweight flan. Were it a dupondius, the border of dots around the rim would be very prominent and the flan would stick way out from the circle of dots.

ominus1 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

See, for example, the rim of dots on this 26.6 mm middle bronze:

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Providentia dupondius.jpg

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'd say it's a dupondius or As..i have a Nero dupondius and its the most widest surface area of any coin i have in my collection....here is is next to an As..but, as RC pointed out, there's a large flan area outside of the legend. Nero ASSES 001.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I am the custodian of an As and two Sestertius of Faustina. No Dupondius. And there is no question of the denomination regarding the size/weights of these three.
    Faustina 1.jpg
    FAUSTINA Sr
    AE As
    OBVERSE: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right
    REVERSE: AVGVSTA S-C, Ceres standing left holding torch & corn-ears
    Struck at Rome, 148-161AD
    13.5g, 27mm
    RIC 1171
    Faustina 6.jpg
    FAUSTINA Sr
    AE Sestertius
    REVERSE: AETERNITAS S-C, Aeternitas seated left holding phoenix & scepter
    Struck at Rome, 147 AD
    24.53g, 34 mm
    RIC 1103A
    Faustina 2.jpg
    FAUSTINA Sr
    AE Sestertius
    REVERSE: AVGVSTA. Cybele, wearing polos, seated left, holding drum in right hand and branch in left arm. SC in exergue
    Struck at Rome, 141-161 AD
    24.1g, 30mm
    RIC 1123

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your help, and other examples.

I think Roman Collector hit the nail on the head - my coin is a light-weight sestertius, for a dupondius/as die would be obviously "small" for the large planchet, revealing a lot of border beading. Mine fits the wide planchet very well, so it is probably a sestertius.

Therefore I will go with a "skinny sestertius" -

Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    Posthumous (147-161 A.D.)
    Rome Mint - Æ Sestertius

DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right, pearls in hair, with bun / AVGVSTA, Ceres standing facing, veiled head left, torch in right hand, stalks of grain downward in left, S C in field
    RIC 1118; Cohen 88.
    (13.70 grams / 32 mm)

8. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Exactly so. One can also go from the other direction and compare to the dupondius. Measure the average die size and compare. Either way one will get an idea of what diameter the actual dies would be, regardless of flan. Other possibilities are that it was a dupondius flan struck with a sestertius die. That would also explain the deep flan crack.

9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Custodian is an excellent choice of words, Bing! Custodian is what I as an ancient coin collector aspire to be. I feel privileged to be the custodian or curator of artifacts from ancient history. I look forward (but not too soon I pray ;)) when I can pass my collection on to a young ancient coin enthusiast.

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i like that theory...it's just a unique F1 bronze :)

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted