What will you think when you look back on August 2018?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Will you look back and say: I am so glad I bought x ounces of silver and y ounces of gold. I can't believe how much money I will make now that silver is ____per ounce and gold is___. Wow!

Or will you say: thank god I didn't buy silver at $14.48 or gold at $1182, now that it's fallen to____ and ____ per ounce. I would have lost so much money! August 2018 was the month I got out of buying PMs.

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Isn't it still August ... like only half way through ?

I'm still holding my money.
    but seriously considering getting some Gold or Platinum US coin(s).

4. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I will look back at the PCGS periodic table of coins. it is coming out sometime during this august. i am waiting for it.

poster-display.jpg

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

If there is any karma in the universe all the gurus in the bullion room will be in the same nursing home drooling all over each other and telling each other that in August 2018 they bought shares in this nursing home for 50c.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Instead of putting it into PMs? What were they thinking?

If I'm looking back on August 2018 30, 40, or 50 years from now -- I'll be grateful I'm still around, and probably not thinking a whole lot about PM purchase windows. I hope.

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

The Karma piece has already been taken care of. The "Gurus" that you speak, were called names, ridiculed, laughed at, disrespected, and basically treated like third class citizens when they were only trying to speak the truth and educate with the facts. In addition they tried to explain how Shysters like Ted Butler, Jim Willie, and Eric Sprott were all getting rich by taking the stackers for ride. We now know the box scores. KARMA = PAID IN FULL

medoraman likes this.
  8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Bring it up at the meeting with Jeffie. Maybe elon can fix you guys up a grand slam breakfast at Denny's.

9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

LOL :) :) :)

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don’t see why today is some sort of dramatic key date in history to look back on. The markets will be back open for business tomorrow. One day does not a market make.

11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Precious metals are not going to make you rich for one simple reason: The main use of gold and silver these days is industrial and jewelry. If the prices go too high, industries will keep finding ways to eliminate or reduce gold and silver from their products, and jewelry sales will stagnate.

And you certainly can't eat the stuff (well, probably gold dust on food in pretentious restaurants, and silver will turn your skin blue.)

Lesbian Cow likes this.
  12. Clawcoins

Reminds me.
    I need to get a few more solar panels. They've been trying to use aluminum instead of silver in their production more lately. One solar panel roughly uses 1/2 oz of silver.

13. -jeffB

Don't solar panels come in all shapes and sizes? Is there a standard size now, and if so, how big (dimensions, peak watts)?

14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Traditional solar panels are becoming obsolete, at least as far as large scale commercial solar farms are concerned. They'll still probably be around for small scale use in houses, buildings, and spacecraft.

The new thing now is Heliostat solar plants. Basically they build a huge tower, with a bowl-like depression circling the tower, and mirrors coating the entire depression. No matter where in the sky the sun is, large beams of light can be focused on the tower. From there, the energy is used to create steam to power turbines, and create electricity.

They are 40% cheaper to build than traditional farms, a lot cheaper to maintain, and produce more electricity. The only downside is the massive death rays from the panels to the tower makes any bird that passes through them instantly burst into flames.:eek: But hey, it's solar (which means green) so environmentalists don't seem to mind the instant-roasted birds too much.

db_29_ivanpah.jpg 1920px-Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility_Online.jpg

Lesbian Cow likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

Free, self-pick, fried chicken

Sallent likes this.
  16. Clawcoins

The general kits you buy at Home Depot, Online, etc have normally 100 or 180 watt panels roughly 58 x 26 inches.
    I haven't really looked at other "shapes".

They charge a battery bank that can support 12 or 24 volt power backup to the garage/house during a power outage. YMMV as smaller/larger kits support less/more dependent upon the number and type of batteries (if any), Charge Controller and Inverter.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The rock, gem, mineral and fossils that I will be viewing and purchasing before the end of the week.

18. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

For the record:
    1) I said August. The month. Not a specific date.
    2) This month, gold hit its low for the last 1.5 years and silver hit its low for 2 years. That's pretty significant.

SilverMike likes this.
  19. -jeffB

Good golly! I hadn't checked today's price action until just now. :eek:

Now, I hope it stays low long enough for folks to start capitulating and selling around the new spot price, instead of just raising premiums. I expect to see some dejected dealers at this weekend's local coin show.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I expect a 25 to 35 cent 'wounded cat' bounce to allow the big dealers a chance to catch a little breath and work with CME options before downwards again. IMO

Draft saved Draft deleted