What type of bullion do you buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 1, 2009.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

HECK YEAH!!! SOMEBODY WHO FINALLY BUYS BULLION LIKE I DO! LOL!

Sweet deal! I get mine for $29-$34 a piece on ebay :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

This is NOT AN OFFER for the Mods but....

Want to buy them at $23 each? I could find them all day. Of course shipping will kill you.

It's a matter of supply and demand. Yes, those fractionals are doing well since the mint decided to stop making them. In numismatics we call this a "no brainer". Still, they will drop unless the metal skyrockets.

First strikes are for people with too much money and not enough research. I agree wholeheartedly with others. The "modern" slab market will self destruct. It's just bullion remember?

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Thats not a good investment in my opinion. If you simply enjoy having a complete set of MS69 slabbed eagles, then thats great. I hope you enjoy it, and I don't mean that sarcastically at all. Investment wise though, you'd be much better off buying raw silver eagles for under 20 bucks, IMO.

5. tmoneyeagles

I'd want the complete graded set, and have it in my registry... I just sold my two non slabbed bullion coins.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yep, that is a sweeeaaaahhhht deal alright, paying $23 on up for bullion that is worth a bit more than half that amount.

Wanna buy my mortgage?:D

7. tmoneyeagles

Okay, and I'm tired of taking sh**, becuase I collect modern bullion in an NGC slab. SO DO OTHER PEOPLE! YOU GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HEARD IT!

@ The MOMENT, NGC Slabbed coins have premiums, I'm paying $23-$34 for a coin that is worth $40 as long it is in plastic, okay, I'm cool with that.

self promotional bit removed

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

tmoney....

I do not think the guys are coming down on you. They are just expressing what they know and have dealt with in the past. For me a few years ago, I had almost every AGE, ASE and all the 1/10th APE in proof and Unc in PCGS 69 slabs. There are a few bullion coins that have a premium but only a few.

When I sold, all I got for my plastic was zilch, nada and nothing. I got going bullion rates for all the common items. The only ones I kept were the 1989, 1990, and 1991 1/2 oz AGE and all the 1/10th APE. I still do have the RAW sets of 2006 Anniversary Series ASE and AGE 3 piece Sets.
    I sold at a time of higher prices than current when gold hit a high in 2008.

Again, to each their own....so do what makes you happy. When you sell is when you learn the hard truth, depending on who the buyer is.

Good luck to you Sir!

RickieB

9. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

edit

10. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Excuse me sir but if I'm not mistaken you asked a question, gave an opinion and it just so happens that most here don't seem to agree with it. This seems to offend you greatly. Oh well.

I can tell you that many of the responses have come from people that have, shall we say, been around and seen a few things?

They give an opinion and at times a bit of ridicule but ONLY because you are trying to convince everyone that you're the grand poobah of bullion investment.
    So why did you ask the question in the first place dude?

I have stated I work in a coin shop. My boss has run a shop for 42 years. Walk in to sell a plastic entombed MS69 ASE ane we'll give you melt unless we need it - and we don't. Something different? We'll look at realized prices then offer you less. It's called business and if we can't make money we don't want it.

I don't know but maybe you and your friends at coinhood.com thought you may be the "way" to lead the ignorant masses on CT. I shall check out coinhood.com myself but believe me there are some darn sharp cookies here at CT. You should hang around and learn.

clembo

11. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

edit: This post wasn't really mean. But I don't want to seem like a snob, which is what everyone at "coinhood" thinks we are over here. I think this is the most knowledgeable forum around. And if people get upset that they aren't always right... Well, stuff happens ;)

12. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

You know TMoney I have been here at CT for quite a while and think I know Clembo as an honest and forthright person, when I read his response to your post I thought WOW! you have managed to tick off one of the easiest going guy's on this fourm. So in light of that, I visited your site coinhood.com and well I am not impressed at all.
    So the reason for this post is that I just wanted to let you know that trying to lure folks from this site to join you at coinhood is well lower than low!

You see this site and it's members have been around the block a few times and know that the time, effort and responsibility of the Administration of this site is top notch. There are people here that have incredibile backgrounds in numismatics and you come here and yell at them for asking their opinion about slabbed bullion coins?

If you want to invest in something, might I suggest the first thing you consider is an education in numismatics! Bullion is bullion except on rare instances when a extremely low number of coins or paper for that fact are produced and market demand out weighs supply! It is just that simple, supply and demand.
    So do yourself a favor and try not to insult anyone else here, I am sure that you could learn a few things here that would help your attempt to run a Numismatic Fourm Site. From what I saw when I checked it out and how it was presented....well it is ok.
    Many members of this fourm are members elsewhere, that is common, so try not to toot your own horn too loud!

Good luck to you TMoney, nothing personal, just the Truth!

Regards,

RickieB

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Well your foul mouthed little diatribe does wonders for your character around these environs, indeed. You are amongst your peers in collecting herein, we are often long time collectors, dealers, researchers etcetera that have seen trends come and go in this fair hobby.

Maybe you have not been around in the hobby long enough to appreciate this. Grading is subjective, and as one of our other esteemed members, Clembo, has duly pointed out - it is worth not a hot wad of of swine slop when you go to sell numismatic pieces - especially modern bullion coins.

As the economic downturn whiles it's way into your existence soon, you shall find the much vaunted treasures entombed in plastic will be worth merely the value of the metal contained in them, if anything the plastic may actually be a put off to purchasers.

Sincerely you are invited to participate here in this forum, we welcome all. Just don't for one second think you are going to step over that threshold and convince us all in mass that you are the all knowing being hath arrived asunder. I don't know everything in numismatics and don't claim too, and most here don't claim to either, but collectively this our motley assemblage has much much knowledge, and we all share it. That is what this forum is about.

14. tmoneyeagles

15. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

This reminds me of a story,

I had to gain respect from those collectors, and got pounded on, this July, and no it seems I have got up against the same thing, but it is much easier when they at least do what you do collecting wise, (graded bullion)

This reminds me of a story,

Once there was a man who moved to a new town. After a few days there he went down to the town square and approached some older gentlemen on the court house steps. They nodded to him and he said, " I just moved here can you fellows tell me what the people are like here"? One of the men sitting there asked him back, "well, what were the people like where you used to live"? The man said, "they were the worst back stabbing lying bunch of no goods you ever did see". The older gentlemen sitting on the courthouse steps said "well, I think that's exactly the way you will find the folks around here, maybe worse". The new man simply walked away feeling sad and rejected.
    Another new man moved to this same town and did the very same thing one day. As he approached the old men sitting on the courthouse steps he said "good morning gentlemen how are you'all today"? The old men said good morning back and asked if he was new in town. He said as a matter of fact "I am and was sort of wondering what the folks around here were like"? Again one of the old men sitting on the steps said, "how were the people where you moved from"? The new man to town said. "they were the best kind of people anywhere, nice, friendly, happy, as a matter of fact I sort hated to move from there but I got this new job and just had to take it". One of the old men sitting on the steps said, I think you will find the people around here just as nice and friendly as where you used to live", "as a matter of fact maybe even nicer, welcome to town"!

16. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

As far as plain Bullion, non-Numismatics, In order of qtys I might buy in a years time...

1 OZ Silver Rounds
    10 OZ Bars
    1 OZ Bars

Few raw 1 oz S.A.E.s and a few Silver Maples, they are kinda pretty, but I'm not sure their worth the premiums they get over Generic rounds...

Then Gold in
    American Eagles (Raw) 1/10s, 1/4ss, 1/2 and 1OZs
    1 OZ Bars Pamp or Credit Suisse

Few 1 Gram bars (more like Chips) from Pamp and Credit Suisse

I don't consider anything graded by PCGS or NGC, Bullion... When you grade it, its sort of Numismatic...

EX: a NGC or PCGS SAE or GAE in PF or MS 70 is going to cost alot more than a PF or MS 69...
    Why, because, it being a 70 is more rare and harder to come by than a 69 or less.... (Not saying that a x-70 is rare I know someone will hae to blow up about this, just that even if common, they are less common that 69s or less...

Bullion is just worth its weight... Whatever Silver or Gold is for the day thats what its worth, no matter how shiney, dull, cleaned, polished or rare its thought to be... An OZ is an OZ...

17. tmoneyeagles

Wanted to say one thing more...

Which is worth more... 1995W ASE NGC MS70 or just 1995W ASE raw?

The graded one :)

18. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Bars if you want bullion and you don't pay any premium for them

19. Luis

Luis Senior Member

That's a nice story. In Social Psychology, they call such a thing the self-fulfilling prophecy. In layman's terms, it is the interpersonal relationships equivalent of reaping what you sow.

20. tmoneyeagles

I wish I had that 1995 W Pf70, for my collection... lol

21. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I would never pay a premium for the 70. Its probably not a 70 anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted