What to invest in

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jufr18, Oct 21, 2009.

1. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I have been thinking of buying some foriegn bank certificates of deposit (Austalian, Japanese, Euro, Canadian and British) - take advantage of the weakening dollar and earn interest to boot. Never have done this before. I guess one would have to factor in the individual bank's exchanged rate weighted by the interest rate to determine which instrument offers the best return.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Post "buying coins, silver, gold, etc." on craigslist and see what comes your way.
    Many good deals to be had right now if you know what your looking for and how much you want to pay.
    Get the gray sheet or at least the blue book before you head out.

Losing your hard earned $$$ to poor deals is the basics for learning the hard way.

(personally I like the debt payoff approach before any spending on so called coins/bullion investment)

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Buy some savings bonds. In 7 years you'll have $2200. With metals, you might not have anything more or even less than your original investment. Why gamble?
    Guy~

5. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

Yakpoo,
    That is the best advice I have seen on any post yet!!
    If you have any debt pay it down first, I realize it is no fun but you will be much fiurther ahead in the long run.

6. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

I am on the way down to the local coin store in an hour or so, to sell my lone 2009 AGE for $10 over spot. I'll combine it with some additional cash and purchase a portable solar electricity generator. With the increase in electricity costs we will soon see, the generator will pay for itself very quickly.

About the point on Forums being a risky place to get information -- I run a little forum for guitar builders, and right on the front page, in red letters, this is posted:

CAUTION: This is an open forum, be wise in whose advice you follow!

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Thanks...that's nice to hear. :thumb:

8. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Gold has been rising steadily for the past 10 years or so. There's no reason for this not to continue given the eventual, inevitable demise of the dollar as the world's reserve currency and the idiotic Federal Reserve policy of Quantative Easing. Its true that Gold has been high before in 1980 before crashing back down to earth, but that was because Reagan came in, slashed taxes and encouraged growth instead of merely increasing the money supply. Can you honestly say the same thing happening with Obama and his policy of solving the problem by keeping the money printing presses rolling night and day?
    I think we've only seen the begining of the rapid inflation that is going to eat into the value of any cash savings one might have. By all means hedge your bets by buying bonds and having some cash savings, but everyone would be wise to own at least some gold right now..

9. silvermex

silvermex Junior Member

stay away from forex for that money the time you would have to invest to learn how to manage the margin is not worth it and its a very volatile investment, your better off buying silver or gold bullion or numismatics you just have to decide your entry point and exit plan

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If it is your viewpoint that serious inflation will begin in 2010, I would repeat that ASEs are probably the way to go. They are easy to buy, you don't have to have any numismatic expertise, they are universally recognized, and are perhaps the easiest silver coin to sell. It has been suggested that the current price is high and waiting for a pullback would be advisable. I think you have to decide that for yourself. If you see serious inflation ahead and it is your intent to protect yourself with this purchase, then waiting sort of defeats your purpose. $20 silver won't look high if we really have hyperinflation.

Draft saved Draft deleted