What the Heck Are We Up Against With PM's?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Mar 29, 2021.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The truth is more people are investing in bit coin and thats taken away from
    gold and other PM,S that people would have purchased.

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. Premiums always stay up after an "event". They did the same 10 years ago, stay up too long because many were still buying. It will take some time for these newbies to lose interest, and supply will force prices back down. Right now I am just buying interesting coins that happen to be made of gold.

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

For quasi-bullion coins -- like Saints -- the premiums tend to be HIGHEST when the underlying metal price is LOWER.

MS65 Saint Pricing 1997-2020.jpg

5. medoraman

Well something like a 65 has its own numismatic demand, so from a bullion price perspective it would appear that way.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

what "event"?

7. medoraman

An event like an economic shock. In the late 70s it was inflation, in 2008 it was housing shocks, and last year Covid. That is why I called it an event. Its something that panics people into buying pm.

slackaction1 likes this.
  8. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

maybe. the stock market sure seemed to do well compared to 2008. Wish I had dove deeper into the market

midas1 likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

Here's the 62 Chart:

MS62 Saint Pricing 1997-2020.jpg

10. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

Just like housing. When interest rates are low, prices soar.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Smart move and that's the way I've been buying lately. I'm hoping that this isn't a "sign of the times" forever. If it is we're in deep dookey! ;)

12. mark943

mark943 Member

I also looked at BTC when it was sub $200. About that time a couple of wallets, or whatever they're called got hacked, and everyone lost everything. I decided to stack silver and gold instead. I can leave it for the kids and no one will be the wiser.

GoldFinger1969, fretboard and midas1 like this.
  13. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Dollar cost averaging is still one of the best ways to play the PM market without getting roller coastered.

There isn't much silver coinage available right now in shops even with these crazy premiums. But, I work estate sales. And we occasionally turn up unusual sterling. Now, if only I knew where to flip generic sterling (post-war silverware & tea sets are more common than anything else).

20210402_192258.jpg 20210402_190953.jpg 20210331_162735.jpg

fretboard and masterswimmer like this.
  14. mpcusa

In a word nice :)

GeorgeM likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Kitco just announced that the US Mint sold over 412K ounces of gold in the first quarter of 2021, the best in a long time. You tell me what's going on with pm's.

crazyd likes this.
  16. mpcusa

There way to high, regardless of how much they sold, excessive premiums are being
    driven by fear :(

17. Collecting Nut

Exactly! I just couldn't believe the announcement that's it's the best quarter the Mint has had for sales of expensive gold ounces since 1999.

18. GoldFinger1969

You don't know who is doing the buying.....could be replacement stocks for foreign Central Banks....Indian/Chinese gold buyers who took 2020 off because of Covid-19....stockpiling ahead of the 4th or 5th or 6th waves...whatever.:D

19. Collecting Nut

Correct but regardless of who the buyer(s) are it's the US Mints best quarter for gold bullion sales in 22 years.

fretboard and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  20. GoldFinger1969

That's the BOTTOM line !! :cigar:

Collecting Nut likes this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

We should have some anectdotal evidence of who is buying if not from the Mint, than from the coin publications talking to dealers.

Maybe we even have some dealers here who sell AGEs and can chime in....?

Draft saved Draft deleted