What Premium are you willing to pay on pm,s ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jun 13, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

like many of you i struggle with this question, how much is to much to pay for a premium on pm,s the obvious answer is none..right but being realistic you have
    to pay something because there not going to give it away...LOL

so where do you draw the line ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"None" is also the correct answer in my case. I don't have any confidence that PM prices will rise predictably, in the short term or (inflation-corrected) the long term.

I buy PMs when I can get them below spot. Or when there's an aspect of the particular item that appeals to me. As a result, I don't buy much.

4. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Circulating silver: None. I buy when price of silver is higher
    Government issued bullion: Maximum $3 over spot (whatever the % may be) for a 1 oz coin. I buy these when silver spot is lower

Gold: I buy 1 oz coins, Maple Leafs, when spot is under a certain amount and am comfortable paying a $25-$35 premium for the ounce

5. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

I agree with Jason, but when it comes to world bullion I collect each year, you have to grab the best price you can find and unfortunately it comes with a premium over spot by 5 dollar at times. Examples are the Panda's and Queens Beasts.

6. mpcusa

That,s for sure where i want to be is below spot !! but being realistic you do
    have to pay premiums, the seller has to make money some how, in my situation
    Trying to save for the future but i dont have the luxury of a huge bank account
    where i can buy all at once, i average as of right now about 25 OZ of silver a month
    at at least 1/4 OZ of gold (2 1/10 OZ) usually.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I buy 1oz. American Gold Eagles. Premium? As little as possible, naturally. Right now, gold's tight price range gives me little impetus to buy or sell. So, I'm sitting chilly and enjoying my collectible coins.

8. mpcusa

I am finding AGE,S to be the cheapest over all, but do like Krugerrands the best
    Unfortunately they do seem to have a higher premium across the board.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

This is a meaningless question. There is no such thing as a standard premium on PMs. There is a premium on generic silver rounds, there is a premium on ASEs and AGEs, there is a premium on silver pandas, etc. All are different. Almost certainly if you pay the normal premium now you will get it back when you sell.

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

90% silver has been a bargain for me lately. I have been getting below melt, melt, and slightly above. I asked the dealers why this is so and they say the market is saturated with it. Maybe it is just my area. So premiums are always in flux. 2017 ASE's were going for $3.50 over spot even on the best online sites. Now they are creeping down. But, to answer your question, considering I only buy 90% and ASE's I would only pay $3.00 max for a one ounce ASE. 90% I would only pay $.50 over melt.

11. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

In southern California junk 90% can be had at spot right now or tiny premium if you know where to look. I bought ASE roll for $1.90 over per ozt. Not a steal but more than fair.

12. mpcusa

Mom and pop shops seem to be leading the trend not as greedy as some of the bigger on line stores.

Draft saved Draft deleted