What percentage of your savings/retirement/investments in PM's

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by FryDaddyJr, Dec 24, 2016.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

It seems to me no more than 10-20 percent.

opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Depends what your goal is. I think 10% is twice as much as I'd want to have. Ray Dalio's "all weather portfolio" has 7.5%.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

so all you guys posting 50-100k worth of gold and silver are worth millions.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They're lying.....your figures are more realistic.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

All my money is going into 401K and Real Estate. Messing around with PM's is just fun for me. I don't have thousands invested and I like to buy and sell the stuff in relatively small quantities. Silver is really shiny and fun to have in physical form.

SilverTracker, Clawcoins and Garlicus like this.
  7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Most of ours is Roth IRAs, and some in TSP. I do not consider my coins as part of the overall plan, but it is a nice pad to it.

Garlicus and Paul M. like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm just a shmuck buying what he likes, so I'm basically considering all the money I spend on coins to be gone. Besides, who wants to sell their collection to fund their retirement?

Curtisimo, slackaction1 and Nathan401 like this.
  9. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

eventually, someday when you get older you may want or need to downsize. can't take it with you.

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Are we talking coin collections or bullion in this thread?

11. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

both really if they're valuable. I did put precious metals in the thread title

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

My collection is very humble. I just started collecting and want to learn a lot more before I aquire more expensive coins. I asked around and a coin that is both good for a collection and investment is a slabbed MS 64 1885CC Morgan. I will probably get that next month at the coin show I go to if I can find it. Usually I separate the the two, bullion and collecting. I don't expect to make any money on my collection, really just want to hand it down. On the bullion side, I made $500.00 buying and selling silver this year. Which is not a lot but I had fun doing so.

slackaction1 likes this.
  13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

what happens to collections that are handed down to people who didn't have the passion for the collection you did, nor understand the worth?

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I,ve always been told 5% and 10%tops is a healthy amount of PMs. I count collectable coins as other investments.

Paul M. and FryDaddyJr like this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have already got my kids into collecting coins. But they could totally lose interest. In that case they could sell them, but I would put specific instructions in my will on how to do so, and even tell them what to do while I am still around. You see people on this website all the time that are in this situation. There husband died and they need the money from the coins and ask for advice on how to sell and not get ripped off.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  16. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple really...putting the same amount of money into an unmanaged S&P 500 fund, gold, silver or gold/silver combined, which do you think will come out FAR ahead? Anything over 7.5% would be foolish.

Paul M. and FryDaddyJr like this.
  17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I have about 5% of my total investments in PM's.

chascat likes this.
  18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree 5-10% in low premium pm is considered an investment and is a healthy amount. I consider my collectible coins to be hobby money, and not an investment at all. As soon as you consider your hobby an investment you will overspend on your hobby. If you cannot afford to lose 100% on your hobby purchase immediately, its not a hobby.

Investmenta are investments, hobbies are hobbies. I enjoy every dollar spent on my hobby. If my wife or kids get a windfall when they sell inherited coins good for them, but I do not buy them for that reason. My investments are what will keep me from eating cat food when older, and will be their real inheritance.

19. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

Precious metal transactions are not automatically reported to the government, as are wages, dividends and various capital gains. If they so choose, traders in precious metals can buy and sell anonymously.
    Comparisons of the relative profitability of transactions that don't take that into account are going to be inaccurate.

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm real conservative with PMs. When I'm fully invested (for me and not currently) it's about 5 percent.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted