What percentage of your savings are precious metals?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jul 12, 2018.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

So apparently only 1 or 2 preppers have responded.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Investment gold? Less than 1 percent.

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I consider bullion the same as cash - at least as defined initially by the U.S. Gov't. When the dollar was something that didn't lose at least 2%/year, it was defined as 371.25 grains of fine silver (or about 23.2 grains of find gold). Gold is the international currency - you can spend it anywhere, and it will be taken by anyone - other than an American Millenial.

5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Amen.

I participated above, but before thinking about the consequences. Lucky for me that my reportage was a bit inaccurate. I think the actual number might be closer to 0.00009% in retrospect, maybe.

Clawcoins likes this.
  6. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Member

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

100%. The end is nigh.

8. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

9. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Around 40%. I just don't see how the overarching trajectory for the dollar in the next 30-40 years can be anything but negative, given the state/local pension crisis, the expanding national debt, and the (potential) rise of the yuan as an alternative reserve currency. Let's put it this way: I don't want to be like that poor fool who had all of his wealth in gold certificates in 1933 when FDR ended gold convertibility at home.

10. onecenter

onecenter Member

Approximately 2-3%, almost all are silver coins in my collection, saved for enjoyment, not investing.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

old
    But when "gold convertibility" was started, you still had face value for what you got at face value.

Draft saved Draft deleted