What is your stacking goal?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by FryDaddyJr, Sep 11, 2021.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

is it a set amount per year or a lifetime goal of a percentage of your net worth?
    Do you plan on cashing in at some later point or just leaving it to heirs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In general, my goal for stacking is to not have things fall over.

More seriously, I guess I'm not really a "stacker", so I should shut up. I buy PMs opportunistically, and sell the same way.

kountryken, rte, crazyd and 3 others like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

My "stacking goal" is just to pickup silver at a low price whenever I can. Either 999 fine or 90%.

I buy/trade for silver because I think it is a good long term investment and better to have physical wealth and a hedge against inflation. The current inflation rate is 5.4% which compared to previous years is just scary.

5. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have no goals.....stacking is incidental to my CRH. I CRH for many things, not just silver. if silver comes my way.....cool. I'll save it until it's needed. sold 10 rolls of 40% half dollars last week to take care of some unexpected bills. Can't take it with me, don't want to leave it to anybody.

6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I plan on holding til my mid 60s to mid 70s and selling on a peak.

AdamL, slackaction1 and MIGuy like this.
  7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I sold some ASE's about a year ago. I'm adding to the "stack" when the
    opportunity arises. Bought some last weekend for @$29. Always on the
    look for quarters. I've been trying to add a little gold, but that's been
    tough with current premiums.

8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Thanks for making me laugh so hard this evening! I'm gonna remember that line and use it.

kountryken likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have no one specific that I can leave it to. Maybe I will leave it to the CT member who is the nicest to me.;)

10. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Before I start being nice I need to know how old you are.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I basically have no limit goals on my stacking at all. I stack when I can but right now with the price of gold so high, I only buy to add pre-33 gold coins and that's not very often at all, and it's not only US coins either. It's what I can get for a decent price. :D

Cheech9712, slackaction1 and tibor like this.
  12. cpm9ball

You've been around for more than 8 years, and you don't know?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Mr Roots
    I would like to find his x wife and get the shot glass cabinet collection... awesome display.. I STACK AND COLLECT but never sold anything yet. I like the hunt and conversations and the haggling over the coins with the knowledge I learned on here I can hang with some of them on some subjects.. Some go ga ga over the holders and stickers.. what do you all say (buy the coin not the holder) have a great Sunday..

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I don't have a goal. I invest in my 401K every payday and deposit into my savings account the same time. I stop in and see my local coin dealer every week to pick up something. Depending on what's available I'll pick up bullion rounds or bars, collectable coins, US and foreign. Some weeks it's proof sets sometimes it's foreign coins or a mixture of any of the above.
    I'll trade when I get the urge to add something that's above my usual budget but I haven't had to sell anything for years. That day is coming, but until then I get to enjoy my accumulation and the sense of security it gives me.

tibor likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

I've got some bad news for you. When I moved to the seniors, rent-controlled complex, I put the shot glasses in boxes for storage. Each box weighed about 50lbs. and moving them around was difficult. Selling them was impossible, so I placed them all on tables in our community room and let the resident vultures take what they want. The only thing I have left is the curio cabinet.
    FROWNING FROG.jpg

16. emdems

emdems New Member

Gold 50ozt (48ozt), Silver 1000ozt (620ozt). And just completed my mid century Mexican silver coin collection per the Bailey book v2. Hope to be done 2022. And then I’m done, I swear.

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

For me it is more a method to store wealth, although I have been quite fortunate. If I have a twenty in my pocket, I can be sure it will be gone by the end of the day. Use that twenty to get a couple of nice halves with, then I know I’ll have it a while…… No goals really. I would like to pass my holdings down to my kids & grandkids. But if the situation arises that I need to liquidate, I will.

Cheech9712, AdamL, kountryken and 2 others like this.
  18. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I am not a really a stacker. I inherited some from my late father and I buy a little silver and occasionally some fractional gold each year. Maybe spend around $500-$1500 each year. Some are plain old coins (ASE/AGE) - others are special/limited editions or numismatic coins that I overpay for (LOL).

At some point in retirement I will sell all my gold, and most of my ordinary silver - leaving only few favorite pieces for me to look at in my old age and leave to my daughter to do what she wishes with when I am gone.

Now what will my wife do with her vintage PEZ, classic toys, and Limoge box collections is a bigger question

19. rte

rte Well-Known Member

For the most part I buy what I like.
    I Gather some and pass them on to someone who likes it more then I do :D
    Most of my stuff was acquired with OPM (not the bar or round, but bought with Other People's Money :p)
    Mostly vintage stuff with a premium cool factor, Pickups of 2-10 in a lot, send a few down the road and keep the free silverware that falls under the table.

kountryken likes this.
  20. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

My goal is to fill my safe with as much silver as possible so that if someone busts in and tries to steal it they won"t be able to lift it!

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I enjoy the search, acquiring, and disposition of my collection to my heirs. I will appreciate and be proud of my collection for as long as I have life. When it is over, I won't know anyway!

leAurenard and kountryken like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted