What is the true definition of junk silver ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, May 15, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I was wondering about this since i have heard several versions, one being worth less
    coins that contain a high content of silver to mom,s old silver ware set..LOL

And since we are talking silver content only how does that differ from Bullion ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Silver that's been buried in someone's backyard to prep for when zombies take over.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I would think:

Bullion is .999
    Junk Silver is less pure and coin but of no Numismatic value.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Junk silver is not pure and it's value is based on current pricing and metal content. Usually it's minted coins by a government.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Junk silver: is an informal term used in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia for any silver coin which is in fair condition and has no numismatic or collectable value above the bullion value of the silver it contains. Such coins are popular among people seeking to invest in silver, particularly in small amounts. The word "junk" refers only to the value of the coins as collectibles and not to the actual condition of the coins; junk silver is not necessarily scrap silver.

fish4uinmd, longarm and Dougmeister like this.
  7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

What is "scrap silver" then?

8. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Mostly sterling items that are just worth melt, I've got a scrap bucket that I throw mangled sterling forks, bent .925 spoons and candlesticks with the weight removed for instance, that I take to the refiners when when the price is right.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Utentils, cups, candlestick holders and like items which are usualy "Electro Plated"
    and have a very low silver content.

10. longarm

My Mom passed my family's sterling flatware on to me and I use it everyday, the forks alone weigh around 75-76 grams each.

Gilbert likes this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

No no no. Junk silver is not silver at all. Rather, it's the junk talk against silver from billowing windbags who are excercising their lungs in preparation to "leap tall buildings in single bound."

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

When you say "take to the refiners", is that some place locally, or where do you take/send it?

13. longarm

I have an account at Dillon Gage here in Dallas, they pay in either a check or you can get bullion coins in payment.

14. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

My definition of junk silver is US Minted dimes, quarters and halves dated prior to 1965, that are kept as an investment vehicle.

alurid likes this.
  15. mpcusa

you would need allot of them, No ? especially the dimes !

16. mpcusa

So is .925 the same value as .999 ??

17. mpcusa

Thanks for the definition, sounds good to me :)

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You will not get as much for 0.925 because it requires more refining. I have a formula I use in my spreadsheet which I use to estimate the value of any world coin which contains silver. It discounts the actual weight of silver based on the fineness.

For example, if a world coin is contains half an ounce of 0.999 silver I will count it as 0.5 ounces for valuation, but if it contains half an ounces of 0.5 silver I will count it as 0.35 ounces for valuation. According to my formula I would count 0.5 oz sterling as only 0.48 oz.

19. mpcusa

Great information !! and thank you !!

20. longarm

No it's not, I usually just multiply spot times .925, for instance, $16.62 spot price means $15.37 sterling price. I get things that people sell for scrap that's perfectly usable all the time, like the 4 sterling wine goblets (162 grams each) I got in a deal that the only thing wrong with them was that they were heavily tarnished.

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Thank you.
    A friend of mine used to take all his gold and silver with him when he went to AZ each year. I don't remember exactly where he took it, but they gave him credits towards having coins made, or check. Sounds like what you do.

Draft saved Draft deleted