What is the better buy? 2015 1 oz Canadian Gold Growling Cougar vs 2018 Gold Maple

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, May 17, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

https://www.providentmetals.com/2015-canadian-gold-1oz-growling-cougar-call-of-the-wild.html
    Which one is a better buy?

Provident has the 99999 Gold Cougar in assay for about $42.99 over spot. That is a surprising little cheaper than buying a 2018 Gold Maple for around $50 over spot.

Interesting, ebay seems to show HIGHER selling prices for 99999 Canadian gold in assays vs loose regular gold Maples. However, Provident Metals offers a lower buyback price for the 99999s vs the regular gold maples.

Is this common? Is a regular, generic Gold Maple a better buy for investment due to its history and easy identification or is a lesser known, 99999 Canadian gold in assay with a much lower mintage a better buy?

What do you think? Does anyone have experience reselling 99999 Canadian gold?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

When I was a younger man, I met a "cougar" from Canada, but that's another story for another time...

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I would go with the Cougar.

Why?
    1. Currently cheaper (from your two options)

2. Many dealers/local coin stores value all foreign gold (at least modern issues) similarly...as in expect an offer of spot or less (3%-7% under melt) if selling to them...so buying the lower premium example is best

3. The lower mintage/different design adds an interesting element (especially for collectors) and can turn this into a semi-numismatic item with a premium

4. I had one of the coins from this series (14 wolf) and later sold it to Apmex (around 2016); they paid a premium above the price of a gold maple

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's gold so buy the lower cost one but factor in shipping.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Generally, the newer a "specialty" though common gold or silver coin is the higher the premium.
    As times goes on that premium becomes less and less.
    That excludes irregularities, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted