What is going on today with silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Revi, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

.....and.... we're down in the valley again....
    [​IMG]

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

The usual up and downs---no one will get 'rich' on Silver, but it's nice to own a little bit if you can get it as cheap as possible (minimal premiums etc)...though I doubt it will end the year any higher than about $20 + an ounce...

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Could have been corrections or adjustments on the exchanges at the end of the month.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. thepersonman

thepersonman collecter of coins

This also happened in gold platinum and palladium at the same time.

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It just goes to show how the price of PMs is manipulated in foreign markets. Ever noticed the prices always rise when the US market is closed, then adjust back to normal soon after the US market opens? Buy on Friday afternoon, sell Monday morning.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The action doesn't necessarily indicate foreign manipulation. When the U.S, which has the huge PM ETF funds such as SLV and GLD, and the large commodity exchanges in NY, and probably the largest commercial bullion exchanges, the manipulation ( or 'correction to norms' ) may actually occur in the US.

It is useful to visualize a 'universal world wide spot price' that is exactly the same over the whole world at the same moment,but it will not be, until physical metal can be delivered instantaneously upon depositing your dollars, ( Startrek transporter :) )

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I find it useful to visualize Lizzy Borden flanking me with a cat o' nine tails when I start day dreaming of riches in silver.

It keeps me from over paying.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

The strong dollar has a lot to do with PM price action. Silver went up in many countries.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Today's graph looks like something to me. What it looks like is one major player putting up a huge buy order followed by the market being able to absorb it after a while. But since it was in all metals, it may be a huge dollar sell order, or a piece of market news that later was retracted. You certainly don't see this pattern every day. It's a "flash crash" turned upside down. Since the first of the month does start a new set of futures and options, maybe somebody wrote an option with a scary high strike price. I doubt we'll ever know with certainty.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

There probably was some underlying reason, but the reality of it, it is just noise...

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If it had been a spike of $50, I might wonder, but it's ONLY 50c!!! If I had 10 million ounces, I might have said, "Cool!"

Chris

14. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

It could have been a nervous investor or a metals fund manager buying back to cover a short position.

15. SunriseCoins

SunriseCoins Active Member

Nothing new Revi, after reading many of your post. Revi you come across as someone that wants Wal Mart Prices for PM's and the problem I have with that is, if you do want to own physical Silver or Gold or PM's in general is, why be out the game for prices that will not reflect the high prices down the line. I am not sure why you are looking to buy when you may as wait then for 2006-07 lows to happen in the future and just stay out. As I have said before no way to know for sure if 2006-07 lows will happen so I am in and will work the average. 2006-07 Lows are highly likely to happen for how long I would think a few years at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted