What is an experimental 1993 D matte finish Roosevelt dime value ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 9, 2018.

1. I've been doing some in-depth research on matte finish coins like the 1997p Jefferson nickel and I came across this 2016 article in coin world which explains that the Mint sometimes experimented with different finishes on coins which why sometimes coins would have a matte finish on just one side or both sides of the coin ... Well anyway . The question I have is if someone has discover one of these experimental coins like a 1993 D Roosevelt Dime with a Matte finish and it's the only one of its kind then how much would this coin possibly be worth ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's not what you think it is.

4. But how on earth could you know if it's not what I think it is Mr.Fred Weinberg without first seeing the coin in question ... Please elaborate ?

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Then show the coin in question.

But .. you may want to research certain ppl on this board as Uber Error Experts ==> https://www.fredweinberg.com/

6. Fred Weinberg

Please post photos or scans of both
    sides of your 93-D Dime, clear and
    large enough for us to see the surfaces,
    and I'll be glad to elaborate.

Andrew Snovell and Kentucky like this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Mr. Fred Weinberg is generally considered the Number One expert on error coins in the United States, sir.

8. Well with all due respect Mr.Clawcoins and Mr.Kurt .... Im not questioning Mr fred Weinberg's credentials or expertise ... I was simply asking him if he could simply elaborate on how the coin isn't what I described in my post without seeing the coin first ... And asking how much these experimental matte finish coins are possibly worth ?

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Because it doesn't exist. Fred has impeccable sources inside the Mint and he knows what does, and does NOT exist. They made 1994 and 1997 nickels and 1998 halves in Matte. The 1994 nickel was so "unknown", that it took several weeks before collectors were even aware of it. Until a piece was written in Numismatic News reporting it in 1994, written by ME, coincidentally, nobody knew.

Dynoking and Stevearino like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

no

11. Clawcoins

12. Great thanks for the helpful insight .

13. Fred Weinberg

I didn't mean to come off rude -

What I meant was that the finish you
    believe your coin has doesn't exist, and
    wouldn't be found in circulation, if it did.

Let's see some photos of it please, so we
    can see exactly what you have............

Lots of folks find things in change, and then
    because it 'looks' somewhat different, they
    find something online that might possibly
    look similar to their coin, and assume that's
    what it is.

Yes, I said 'it's not what you think it is' without
    seeing a photo of your coin at all - however,
    I was willing to make that statement publicly
    due to numerous factors.

Photos, please.

Stevearino, Spark1951 and Kentucky like this.
  14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I would estimate somewhere in the high 4 to low 5 figure range. You have to understand, with 1 off coins there is no auction history or price guide. The price they would sell for is entirely dependent on what a handful of serious collectors would pay. It would also be very dependent on condition, such that if it was a confirmed matte finish 1993 D dime in VG8 condition I suspect it would not break $100.

Why are you asking this questions, do you believe you found one? Post some pictures. Also understand, and I think this is hard for new people to the hobby to understand, that serious coin collectors are an actual community of people who often know each other and communicate about important coins. You are not just asking a bunch of random people about this coin but instead are asking some of the same people who would be could potentially be both the advisors on authenticity to a third party grader as well as some of the potential buyers. So by all means, use this resource to your advantage, post some pictures and ask for advice, but understand that in all likelihood the coin is not what you think it is.

15. I understand it's not a problem ... And so is the smooth Evenly grey finish of this coin a matte finish or does this coin have a smooth Even grey finish from environmental damage ? Screenshot_20180709-165830~2.png Screenshot_20180709-154917.png Screenshot_20180709-165843~2.png

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This coin is 25 years old...I remember what I looked like 25 years ago...perhaps I have a matte finish :) Seriously, just environmental damage.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Funny, on my upper end, I keep getting MORE silvery.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, environmental damage. But I see the source of your confusion. That 1993-D obviously spent time undisturbed in an environment that could nonetheless "outgas" and affect the surfaces, such as a kraft paper envelope.

Whenever I get truly pristine coins in circulation, but not valuable, I try storing them in various sorts of materials, just to observe the differences over the years. Yours looks like "clad coins in kraft paper" to me.

So far, hard plastic capsules are the runaway leader in preservation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    John Burgess likes this.
  19. Clawcoins

Obverse, top left of the dime does not look "matte" but slightly more polished-like. So there's something inconsistent there in your dime.

Environmental Damage per the other thread mentioned.

I find it best to think that anything out of the "ordinary" is Damage FIRST.
    Then you have to prove to yourself that it is not damage. As there is no List of Methods and Severity of Damaged coins as that would be an infinite list.

Most ppl think something out of the ordinary must be an error, which 99.99% of them (or greater) is not.

If you pay more attention to your change, you'll find a lot of them are matte looking.

20. Wow that's a very unique environmental damage ... Especially with the Even smooth flat grey tone over the entire surface of the coin and then shiny neat edges like the damage avoided the edges of the coin . I guess I am very confused with that part as well ...

21. Sorry I do apologize ... The top left coin was only a example of a normal dime so that people could easily see the huge difference in the tones of both dimes that's all

Draft saved Draft deleted