Do these two coins have a matte finish?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Xasprit, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Xasprit

Xasprit New Member

I'm new to coin collecting, and these coins have a really weird finish to them, besides the back of the nickel which is slightly normal. Can anyone tell me if these are matte or not? If so, are they worth anything? 20160823_221844.jpg 20160823_221824.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, welcome. I think what you are seeing we usually refer to as "environmental damage". Exposure to an acidic environment will cause frosting like that.

4. Xasprit

Xasprit New Member

So if this isn't a matte finish, what would one look like? Also, what exactly would this coin have to be exposed to in order to become like this? Just interested :D

5. Kentucky

Don't really have any matte pictures I can post, Google and look for images. If you drop a quarter in vinegar for awhile, or in muriatic acid for a shorter while, or if you leave it in an environment where there are acidic materials. Someone else is bound to comment on this.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

IMG_1671[1].JPG

IMG_1672[1].JPG

jay4202472000 and Michael K like this.
  7. Kentucky

Now THATS a matte finish!

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Don't worry.. the Nickel is worth 5c and the Quarter is 25C

9. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Actually Xasprit ... If you're coin has a smooth EVEN tone over the entire surface of the coin . Then chances they probably could have a matte finish ... Either that or they simply have some other form of UNKNOWN finish or a wrong planchet issue . But it CAN NOT be environmental damage with a completely EVEN TONE over the coins entire surface . Infact if you Google the phrase : images of Environmental damaged coins you can actually see for yourself that no damaged coins will have smooth clean or even finish surface so always beware those it's probably just environmental damaged experts in the coin world ... Lol

10. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yes a coin can have a coating from environmental damage. Toning IS environmental damage.
    upload_2017-7-29_21-9-26.png

These are all toned naturally. Though I do not disagree that the 2000-2010 decade did and probably does have more experimental finishes/rinses out there. Keep searching! Satin finishes are made by sandblasting the surface, so they look like the cameo on proof coins. Under magnification you can see the fine sand marks on the surface of the coin.

upload_2017-7-29_21-13-39.png

Do you see the grainy effect on the fields of the coin that I'm talking about?

-SC

11. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Yes ... I certainly do see all those beautiful UNEVEN RAINBOW TONES in the first set of coins . Just like I also see that none of those coins have an EVEN TONE OR SOLID FINISH to them . And yes the other coin that you are referring too does have a grainy effect to it as well . Just like the Matte finish coins have some similarities to that coin since they are both produced using a method in which they sand blast the coin . ( Google : U.S. Experimental Matte finish nickel ) .... But anyway the reason that Im being very specific about the EVEN TONES of these coins that he's choose to share with us is because i have also found a coin before that is very similar to these alleged EVEN TONED - ENVIORMENTAL DAMAGE coins that so many coin experts are so quick to conclued are damaged . But the fact is my research is strongly suggesting that it has to be something else hence my reference to googling images of environmental damaged coins .... But either way doing research and homework is always the best ingredient to finding accurate answers to just about anything wouldn't you agree ? And would you say that this coin is also environmental damage ?
    IMG_20170724_015832.jpg
    IMG_20170724_020143.jpg

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Yes. No doubt at all!

Draft saved Draft deleted