What government-issued bullion coin do you reject?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 17, 2017.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure what would be "cool" about that, but of course you may buy what you like. Others, especially here in Europe, may have different preferences. :) @NorthKorea - the Krugerrand coins have been on that list for many years. Guess they know what they are doing ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

just in case you did not know i was being sarcastic, that one flew way
    over your head...LOL

and yes i do invest "IN A REAL MAN,S 1OZ COIN"

[​IMG]

4. mpcusa

5. mpcusa

The Maple is for the beginner investor that does not know any better..LOL

6. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Why would you choose to be a jerk about this? It's a thread about personal preference. No reason to berate individuals for their choices.

sakata likes this.
  7. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Should I quote the other places where you wrote "grammEr?"

Own your mistake.

8. mpcusa

Your obviously a newbie in this forum with your 98 posts, so my recommendation
    To you is play nice, if you disagree with someone that,s fine but dont belittle them
    For what they invest or collect in, so your not a fan of the Krugerrand ? i actually
    Like the coin always have and always will !!

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I do have a confession. I slipped and recently bought a 2 oz British Silver Queen's Beast Griffin Coin becasue my wife likes griffins.
    Otherwise I'm strickly USA all the way!

10. mpcusa

Every collects and invests differently, and that,s ok :)

Sundance79 and slackaction1 like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Maples. Sorry but the design just doesn't do anything for me. And then there's the Queen. I'm sure she's a wonderful person that everyone (except Johnny Rotten) loves, but I don't need to spend money to see the same person, seemingly forever, on a coin. I can just look at one of our own coins from pocket change for free. :(

I really do like the Krugerrand but I think it's probably for sentimental reasons. I had a 1977 gold Krugerrand before Jim-Bob put an import ban on them. But I was never wild about the designs. They need to replace the leopard chow on the obverse with the leopard that would have it or the fat man for dinner. Or, why not a Honey Badger ripping the head off of a cobra on the obverse? Now that would really be cool.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  12. mpcusa

The Queen, i have noticed is on a huge variety of coinage across the board from
    British, Canada, Nive, etc, the list is long !! but some of the designs are really
    cool, i mean on the other side..LOL

13. Pawnmonkey

Pawnmonkey -----so easy even a monkey can do it-----

That's why I only collect 60 year old British coins. They made the Queen look hot on those.

14. NorthKorea

FWIW, I think I shouldn't have said Krugerrands, since they're not actually issued by the South African gov't.

15. mpcusa

Me...Really !!! he,s the one with the rude comments :(

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That has been suggested here before. Except ...

"The Krugerrand is the only legal tender bullion coin with its face value denominated in ounces of pure gold. All other gold bullion coins have a face value significantly below the value of gold. The South African Reserve Bank guarantees that it will purchase any tendered Krugerrand at the ruling price of gold on the day." (Source, emphasis by me)

Christian

17. NorthKorea

I know they claim that, but that also implies that the term "Krugerrand" would mean 1 troy ounce, regardless of metal. My rationale behind that conclusion is the 1/2 Krugerrand, etc on smaller gold units and the term Krugerrand on silver and platinum coins with face values. My point was that the Krugerrand isn't actually minted by a government mint. It's minted by a private mint.

18. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

The Queen, God bless her, has not been magazine cover girl material for a long long time.and while I like them, The 5 ounce of ATBs artists displayed of course with Washington's image facing the table.
    SilverWilliesCoinsDotCom

19. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

they are making silver krugerrands now as of 2017 FYI

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those have been discussed here a lot. ;) Well, since tomorrow (3 July) is the 50th anniversary of the first Krugerrand (gold) issue, I have seen lots of articles and press releases about these coins. They all say that the Krugerrands are "made" (i.e. blanks) by Rand Refinery, then shipped - actually helicoptered :) for security reasons - to the South African Mint where they are struck as coins.

Christian

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

They kind of look like chromed plastic. (Britanias)

Draft saved Draft deleted