What do you think will happen to Silver in the next few years??

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Zeplyn, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

With the Gov printing $$ like crazy, what is your thoughts on silver in the next few years?
    What is your buy signal? Price threshold? When Silver hits $100 oz will you cringe because you did not buy it at $25-$30?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think that at some point, silver prices will spike upward, probably by a lot -- then crash back to about $20 very quickly. That's usually the way powerful bull markets end. The signal will be the parabolic spike, and not the price.

When silver hits $20, will you cringe because you did not sell it at $100?

You may also want to research your "Gov printing $$ like crazy" thesis. I know it is a popular belief but it just doesn't show up in the monetary statistics. I would say there is about a 50/50 chance for either large scale inflation or deflation.

4. Zeplyn

Thanks for the reply. No, I will not cringe because I do not have any to sell. I like most everyone else is trying to figure out whats happening to our American economy. I am not trained in any avenue of economics per se. Just read a ton of articles portraying the end of American life as we know it by the currency becoming hypeinflated and unwanted by other World Powers to be like China and India.

Just trying to get a sense of what others are thinking. Thanks again for your reply. It was interesting to say the least.

5. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Yeah, numismaticaly can it be proven the government is printing like crazy?

6. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

Price of silver is going to drop.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

As a YN I am not surprised to hear that you do not yet know this for yourself but as a self-professed dealer at the age of 12 and an obsolete note collector/researcher, I am surprised that you have this query.

Have a visit to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing of the U.S. Department of Treasury web site. [moneyfactory.gov]

Printages: Monthly production report

Printages: Annual production report

You may also find relevant data of past Series of notes printed on uspapermoney.info or in some of the various US Paper Money guide books posted in your thread from earlier this week: What's your favorite currency guide or book?

8. IMO silver will continue to trend upward over the next 1-2 years leading up to the 2012 U.S. Presidential elections. However, so many factors influence the spot price that nobody knows for sure what will happen. For example, today the Chinese changed their reserve requirement and some report how it impacted the PM market worldwide today:

http://www.fastmarkets.com/scoop/?id=28836&v=0&lang=en&cid=130687&type=1

I try to buy when the PM spot price dips. Although some disagree with this method, it has worked out well for me. ;) TC

9. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Silver, unlike gold, is not held as a hedge against the US dollar by governments and central bankers. Silver price is being driven by naked shorts and blind speculation and uninformed buyers who think it follows gold. It's anyone's guess what will happen with it.

Today's action in the silver price should be evidence enough of this.

10. Zeplyn

Well it is interesting to see the variety of answers.
    Since silver is a commodity, should it not react to market flucuations?
    Seems like when it goes up the dollar goes down and vice versa.

Thanks for the remarks.

11. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Not sure about a year or two but I'm 25, and I'm thinking about where it's going to be 60 years from now... or maybe even more for my little girl if she plays here currently 1 year old cards right, lol.

12. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

Silver, just like most other natural resources, is facing a 'peak oil' situation. By this, I mean that the new discoveries will be fewer, smaller, and more expensive to develop. This goes for oil, silver, gold, iron, etc. To appease everyone, let's agree that the supply of silver is relatively fixed. How about demand? For silver (and all the other natural resources)? Population growing. Chindia developing. New uses being discovered. Starting to be considered as the Poor Man's Gold. Whelp. I thin we have to conclude that demand for silver is growing. So, fixed supply and growing demand means the price of silver will be increasing in absolute terms. And then there are those that feel that with the gov't debasing the currency, silver will rise in nominal terms.

It's going to keep going up in price. Where to? I have know idea. And if it drops to $5, I'm good with my silver holding. I'll just buy more. Start a set of morgans, what. I'm labeling it Accumulate.

peace,

rono

13. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

As for the gov't printing money like crazy - what are we calling the quantitative easing program of $600B that Uncle Ben announced a few months back? Is it more $100's? feh. I don't know. It's still not circulating and so, coupled with cheap HD TV's inflation is tame, it is showing up in the stock market. Cripes, the asset bubble right now is the stock market - not commodity prices. If it's not circulating, it really doesn't have to be printed. Electronically, it still shows up at JPM.

peace,

rono

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Anything that is priced world wide in USD will fluctuate according to the USD, supply, demand, and speculation based on the future of any of those due to combined thoughts of the total future. This last week decline in PM , even in the face of the USD decreasing from approx 82% to as low as 79% should have raised the price of silver and gold ( if all else was constant), but it wasn't all constant. Speculation has decreased in my opinion due to perceived increase in stock ownership value, improving bank, less foreign sovereign debt problem, etc.

Just as speculation aided the great increase in the price of silver due to perceived opposite effects of the above, I think one should expect more decrease unless things appear worsened to most people, But is this a bad thing? Well, yes if you expected to be able to retire on your silver, but no if you are really concerned with the state of the world.

If you wish to play commodities, copper and rare earths are in short supply compared to the projected needs if regaining industries continue to increase

All IMO, Jim

15. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

3 cheers for "Krispy, "Topcat, "Rono" and me.......we are all on the same page!!!!!

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

even the best expert,s differ on which way precious medals will head i,am thinking about
    Getting it to gold bars but i,am kind of doing a double take because i dont really know
    How much higher it can go before it settles in or worse yet drops!

17. Cloudsweeper99

First of all, the stock market is hardly in a bubble. Prices aren't even back to the level of the late 1990's. The real bubble right now is in long term treasury bonds. It's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Regarding electronic money, keep in mind that the "money" in your checking account isn't money at all until after it is withdrawn. Until then, it is just another unsecured debt of the bank.

18. Cloudsweeper99

The large silver traders are hardly "uninformed." The uninformed folks are the ones writing the various internet articles on gold and silver, not the ones buying and selling it for a living. Regarding the "naked shorts" stories, I'm on the fence about that one. The people making that claim aren't in a position to verify it. So maybe the shorts are naked, and maybe not. JPM is said to be a naked short by some, but it is also thought to have China [world's largest silver holder] as a client. Time will tell.

19. Zeplyn

Cloudsweeper all the more reasons that my personal thoughts are that silver is at a hinge point destined to go higher.
    Just my thoughts as a novice.

20. Bluesboy65

Bluesboy65 New Member

M1 money supply has increased by an average of 5 & 10% for the past 16 years or so with a notable spike of 10% in 2000 (according to the St Louis fed). In 2010 we saw another spike of roughly 10%. The Gov printing money like crazy is a common euphemism for the general perception of our government creating dollar-based debt, whether it be treasury debt (which the Fed is now buying) or currency represented by M1 (actual currency that is in circulation or in a demand account like checking or savings). Excessive levels of either will eventually lead to inflation (or weak dollar, however you want to look at it) as more and more dollars begin chasing goods and services. Yeah, I know, there are other factors like reserve currency status, trade imbalances and the relative strength/weakness of other currencies yada yada yada; perhaps thats another thread. So, although technically imprecise, I agree with the Zeplyn's sentiment that borrowing and printing our way out of our fiscal woes is a temporary quick fix; eventually we've got to enter rehab!

21. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

I think maybe silver may hang around 28 because people will realize all the hype is stupid and will stop driving it up, but honestly not sure, just a theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted