What do you think? $50 Buffalo

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by leoq, Sep 18, 2009.

1. leoq

leoq Junior Member

Do you think that the Mint will be able to produce Buffalo Gold coins before the end of this year? It seems like time is going away to fast... What would the repercussion be if they did not and then next year the Buffalo goes on production? Would it raise the value of the prior years Buf? Has it happened before, skipping only one year of minting, and producing the coins on the following year?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Yes I think so.

Now I am no expert here, but I think all of the signs point to the fact that the mint will be producing these and will probably make an announcement shortly after they are done with their inventory count.

First off just click on the buffalo link of the mints site and read it carefully...
    "
    Production of United States Mint 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coins has been delayed because of the limited availability of 24-karat gold blanks. The 2009 American Buffalo One-ounce Gold Proof Coin is scheduled to go on sale in the second half of the 2009 calendar year after an acceptable inventory of 24-karat gold blanks can be acquired. The release date, once established, will be posted to the 2009 Scheduled Products Listing.
    As a result of the numismatic product portfolio analysis conducted last fall, beginning in 2009, American Buffalo Gold Proof fractional coins and the four-coin set are no longer available. Additionally, the United States Mint will no longer offer American Buffalo Gold Uncirculated Coins."

So if you combine that information with a few other tidbits such as the fact that they are completely lifting the ordering limit on the UHR, meaning they have more then enough blanks to go around... Plus they are getting ready to take inventory at the mint during the end of this month... I think once they complete inventory they will announce the Proof... Shame they are not making the uncirculated coins or fractionals anymore though :(

4. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Thank God they are not.....I would be broke. :p

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm no expert, either...but I doubt they can use he UHR blanks for any other coins than the UHR coin. However, lifting the limit on UHR coins may draw some demand away from the AGEs.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the Mint's supply of gold blanks...

US Code 31, Section 5112
    I read another article (can't find it just now) that says there are 2-3 sources of gold for gold coin blanks and they are running full out just to keep up with bullion coin production.

We may need a sustained downtrend in gold prices to cool demand so enough blanks will be available to produce the suspended coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted