What do you guys think of this $5 gold piece?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by TheSilverpicker, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Hey Guys,

Just wanted to show off a nice piece i just picked up.
    1908 Gold.jpg 1908 Gold R.jpg

mill rat41, McBlzr, Rheingold and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Nice.

That's a ANACS/Amos SWH - so it's after the sale to Amos Press (1990) and before they changed to numbers + a bar code (1991). There were two letter pairs known to be in use at the time of the sale - i.e. both ANA and Amos versions are known (EX and RE) and six PG, PK, SC, SX, WE and ZD letter pairs used only by Amos.

There is little evidence about the sequence of the letter pairs, although the latest known coin in the PG and RE sets are 1990. Use of EX continued into 1991. So if I had to guess, EX and RE were in use at the time of the sale, RE finished and PG started sometime before December 31 1990.

Travlntiques likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think its very nice for a 62. I would have guessed higher from the pictures.

HunterOhlsen likes this.
  5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

@Burton Strauss III Thank you for the fantastic information from an ANACS perspective! I love these old small white holders and history is a lot less prevalent on them than with early PCGS/NGC.

That gold piece is a knock-out.....definitely more attractive than the grade would indicate. PLUS, last year for the design adds interest, I would be proud to own one like that, great find. Congrats!

6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

That may grade a point or two higher now days I bet. Though I'd keep it in the anacs holder.

Draft saved Draft deleted