What do dealers pay for Silver Eagles from the Mint?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by cphine, Oct 31, 2009.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Sure as long as you get to cherrypick the 5 years

masterswimmer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Cherry pick? Due diligence? Yes.

I own every investment I've listed.
    Invest in what you know. I retired after a career in IT.
    I bought Home Depot and the S&P index fund for diversification.

BTW, Apple $116.47 $267.10

4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I could've gone back 10 years which = much more gains. Over the long haul stocks win out.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Home Depot is down 11 points today. Good thing I bought it at 27.

midas1 likes this.
  6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

it's up 39% for the year. will probably bounce back some later today.

7. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how this thread got on to yet ANOTHER subject, besides that someone decided to post in a very self important way about a topic that this thread has nothing to do with: stocks vs PMs. Take that nonsense somewhere else and start your own thread or find one that already discusses the subject.

In response to this thread, to get us back on track, allow me to summarize what I believe to the situation:

1. Large dealers place ASE orders from the US mint for the upcoming year. They place this order when they believe silver is a a currently low price, giving themselves more space to make profit when silver goes up and they sell their Eagles to their customers.
    2. Dealers pay the US Mint a lower (underdetermined) premium for the Eagles than they will sell them for. What is this amount?
    3. Dealers make money on Monster Boxes of Eagles by sending in nice examples for grading, allowing profit on ms70s.

Today, dealers are selling forthcoming 2020 Silver Eagles for $20.53 while spot is $17.20. That is a premium over 16%. Outrageous! Anyway, what is the premium they pay? We still haven't answered that. But I think we can speculate it is much smaller than 16%.

Draft saved Draft deleted