What Bullion to Invest in

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Rob_0126, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Speedy,

Your reasoning seems sound and I have no doubt you will be successful with that approach.

For what it's worth, so far my entire gold collection consists of:

1 1987 one ounce gold eagle
    1 1980 one ounce maple leaf
    1 1987 $5 Consititution commemorative in the original mint packaging
    2 1988 $5 Liberty commemorative MS69 slabbed by ANACS
    1 1911 uncirculated British Sovereign
    1 1893 uncirculated 20 Franc French Angel
    1 1947 uncirculated 20 Franc Swiss

All of the coins were obtained reasonably close to the bullion value. I'd like to branch out into some of the old US gold coins struck for circulation, but I'm having a hard time paying the big premiums when so many other gold coins are available for small premiums. But I also don't want to make a dumb mistake because gold is, well, not cheap. So far I've just hunted for gold bargains and jumped on them when they appeared without regard to type, date, mintmark, or country; and I've been able to do it without sacrificing quality but nothing I own is scarce. The "quality barrier" seems to kick in with the older US gold coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rob_0126

Rob_0126 New Member

Good choice collecting PF66 Frank's. :) I bought a PF 6x one time and it was very nice. I was impressed.

I need to pick a coin to go with, and start. Been leaning towards indian head cents but I dont know.

4. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

I keep having to remind myself that the title of this tread is: What Bullion to Invest in.

I know none of us consider higher-grade MS Double Eagles to be bullion coins, so.....

I still maintian that EF/AU/lower MS Double Eagles are the way to go, especially with this particular philosophy. Double Eagles were used as currency in the USA until 1933. They can be had in many cases at a small cost over melt value. Common EF/AU/lower grade MS coins are much less likely to have been counterfited. Their cost is usually substantially less than a mid to higher graded MS coin. Their profit potential is considerable given the right circumstances. Double Eagles are recognized the world over. The list of pros is considerable.

The Canadian Maple Leaf, the Chinese Panda, the American Eagle, and other true bullion coins have their positives, usually associated with their higher gold content over that of a Double Eagle. But, as a collector, I still assign a higher value to the Liberty/St. Gaudens design. They have a consistenty higher numismatic appeal over that of the small market for high-grade bullion pieces. Think of it as win-win.

If we find ourselves in a crashed economy and/or a barter situation, will a raw coin of a claimed higher grade or even one "certified" in a plastic holder possess an increased value over that of a circulated coin with the same amount of gold? I have my doubts.

Don't overlook Eagles, Half Eagles, or Quarter Eagles either. Sometimes they can be had for a small price over that of a Double Eagle, value multiplier notwithstanding. Personally, I prefer a mix.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

So far I'm over half way done....my last coin I got for hte set was 1954 NGC PF66....all coins must be PF66 (cameo is ok) and must be slabbed by one of the top 4.

2 of mine are CAMEO...the 62 and 63....some of the coins I have bought from Mr Rick Tomaska and I would say he deals in only the best.

Speedy

6. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Active Member

7. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Active Member

Haha, didn't mean to post that...

I guess bump?

Draft saved Draft deleted