What are you all paying for 90% junk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jlogan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Let me express my reply differently. The average weight of older Mercury dimes is less than that of newer Roosevelts, so the dealer pays less per coin when buying Mercury dimes. Then, when he resells the Mercs, the price realized is greater per coin than a Roosevelt. Does your dealer also sell 90% by weight, and if so, what is the multiplier? Or does the dealer sell based on face value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

All of my dealers sell by face value. Yours charge by weight?

4. Gilbert

I apologize. Isn't that what you said in your previous post?

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I may have been confusing. I use coinflation all the time and It has .7234 ounces per $1.00 face. I noticed that online dealers and ones I interact with face to face use .715 as their multiplier. I asked a dealer about the difference and he said to compensate for wear on the coins. That was all I was pointing out. I was concerned if I bought a lot of dimes that the scenario you were talking about would come into play. Worn out Mercs vs uncirculated 64 Roosies. I would take the Roosie's any day. I don't know., are there dealers that bust out the scale when buying and selling junk silver?

6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I think it's good to diversify. Have junk silver, have pure coins, some with a little numi value, have pure bars, some big ones.

fish4uinmd, slackaction1 and Bman33 like this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I like ASE's, Generics, 90%, and 10 ounce bars. Can't get enough of it!

asheland and slackaction1 like this.
  8. Gilbert

Thanks for clearing that up. To each his/her own but going strictly on value per piece I would go for the Mercury dimes. People use melt value but I doubt any 90% are being melted, as was the case during the late 1970s early 1980s. Of course I could be wrong on this.

9. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

With all due respect, aren't you all buying "junk" silver for the bullion content in the coins? I cannot for the life of me understand why some dealers would angst over .25 or .50 either way when the margins are so close.

10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

It isn't being melted. just traded back and forth, and middlemen making money off from sheep.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Do you ever buy silver and then sell it later? Congratulations; you're a middleman.

asheland and Camreno like this.
  12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

He's just trying to be cool by calling people sheep.

Camreno likes this.
  13. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

We never get dealers like that at our coin shows.

14. -jeffB

[​IMG]

asheland and slackaction1 like this.
  15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

you're an end user who pays premiums coming AND going. You're a sheep to the middlemen.

16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

a lot of buyers are sheep

17. Packrat

Baaa!!!

Camreno likes this.
  18. -jeffB

If I buy and then sell, I'm not an end user.

If you define "middleman" as someone who makes money both buying and selling, and "end user" as someone who loses money both buying and selling, then you're right -- but you've also made a completely circular argument.

19. Packrat

Seems like everyone I know is a "dealer."

Camreno likes this.
  20. Packrat

In my area people are paying 12.5 and selling at 13.-13.5.

21. Packrat

Tennessee is a killer at 9.75% tax. They require shops and antique malls to collect the tax but seem to never check the flea markets. Also, they have never monitored the coin show we have once a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted