What are you all paying for 90% junk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jlogan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Local dealer was charging 13.5 times face on the 10th.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Wow. Its interesting to hear from an actual LCS operator. So pretty much figure youre going to get 10X -11 X when selling and pay 14x or 15 X when buying. Wow that's a 40% spread which you cant blame the LCS as 40% is only giving them a $6.50 an ounce margin. But its seems near impossible to even break even buying this stuff.

I wonder what does David Setree pay for gold. Im guessing spot +/- 1%.

4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

That was a pretty fair deal.

5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I really doubt he is selling for spot ( ~12X )

6. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

On Saturday I stopped by one of the local shops. He offered me 12 troy ounces of junk silver this way: 12 ounces times the melt value of silver for the 12 troy ounces times 90% times 5%. He didn't go by face value, he went strictly by weight, allowing for the silver to be 90% pure and a profit of 5% of the total.

7. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

So what is 12 troy ounces ? About $17 face ? That way seems complicated. I always get quoted a certain times face value at my LCS and its almost always some stupid high price. Like 17x or 18x at current spot thats a ripoff.

8. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

The house always wins

9. TheMont

The baggy contained a variety of different 90% silver coins- cull Morgans, different halves, different quarters, different dimes, but all American. It would have taken a great deal of times to go by face, that's why he went by weight.

10. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

At $17 spot, I am a buyer at +5% or less. For junky Morgans/Peace, I'm a buyer at $15 or less.

This weekend, I was asking $14x face and managed to drag in $200 or so. I was asking $20 for Junk Morgans/Peace, and sold a dozen or so. Then a guy emptied my case at $17@. I'll get more!

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Melt value for $1.00 face value is $12.12. Provident is selling it at $14.18. Does that mean they are selling it at $2.00 over spot or am I missing something here?

12. 05Wildcats

Paid $12.95 per $1 face value for 90% silver today.

13. TheMont

The twelve ounces came to $18.40 face. A combination of cull Morgan Dollars, Liberty Walking Halves, Liberty Standing Quarters, and a lot of Mercury Dimes.

14. 05Wildcats

Paid $13.00 per $1 face value for 90% silver today.

15. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

7 times face? Wow. I haven't sold silver in a while. Doesn't look like I will be any time soon either. Didn't realize it was that low.
    Edit: Whoops., my math was off. Guess 13 x isn't so bad. Was thinking 7$ per half. My bad. Nevermind.

16. 05Wildcats

Today, Price was 13.15 for $1.00 face.

17. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I paid $14.5/$1 for $2.25 face today, which is a bit high, but I get to cherrypick from the pile and got a nice G 1916-D quarter & 1909-O half, nice VG 1939-S & 1946-D halves and a F 1954-S half. So, I'm happy.

18. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I would use coininflation.com and aim to purchase within 95%-105% of melt value.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  19. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

That's currently about 12x.

20. 05Wildcats

Today, price was $13.55 per $1 face.

21. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Just bought $1.85 for $18.50.

If/when he finds his roll of quarters, that's another $100.

Draft saved Draft deleted