What are you all paying for 90% junk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jlogan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I look at Superman Maples and I swear I feel a need to look around me for the hidden camera. It has to be a joke, right? It's all for "Punk'd", right? I mean, COME ONNNN, MAAANNN!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I had people of all ages buying them (youngest was 16 and the oldest was 65). They were well received. I know what you mean it does seem odd that a government mint would team up with DC Comics to make a coin. I like them, then again I also like Zombucks so that tells you my mind set. I'm waiting for a Batman Maple next year!

4. V. Kurt Bellman

Well at least the Maples come with the imprimatur of a sovereign nation.

The Zombucks kind of actually make me a little angry. To me, one of the coolest (and cheapest) ways to commemorate the silver bubble of the late 200*-early 201* era is the collection of reduced price copper rounds that proliferated. Those babies are showing up in dollar bins now, and they have a neat use - put them in your storage containers as "coal mine canaries" showing you where you might have toning vapors running around.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Kentucky likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Kurt, you would have been proud of me. I sold all my silver today, including your favorite Zombucks. Decided to invest somewhere else. I made some money and part of that is going towards an 1885 Morgan CC. Now watch, it will sky rocket just because I sold, lol.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Today's rout has you looking like a clairvoyant.

Bman33 likes this.
  7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A rout?

I wouldn't exactly call a one day fall of 33¢ a rout.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Down 90 cents since the weekend. That's pretty bad.

9. David Setree Rare Coins

One more day like today and yesterday and I will agree with a rout.

But it goes up just as fast when it goes up, that is.

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Bumped this thread up because I was curious what people were getting 90% at right now. Provident is $13.7 x Face. Melt Right now is $12.16 x Face.

11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Coin shop right now is 13.3x face.

Of course, I cherrypicked, but I'm just getting the data.

Bman33 likes this.
  12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Nice price! I'm looking to get a roll of quarters, will see what my LCS is doing.

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Anyone get any recently and for what price?

14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

what do you pay for junk silver in relation to spot?

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Its very hard to find it under $20 an ounce which is a horrible premium over the current $16.90 spot.

Jm Bullion, Apmex, and Provy are all at 14X face even if you buy a $500 bag. If ur buying in $10 or $100 increments its more like 14.5X. Current spot would dictate 12X face.

Its been my experience that those 3 online shops are the best prices one can find. LCS always wants more and pretty much everyone selling on sites like this want more. There are a couple ads to sell on this site. The cheapest is 15 X and it goes up to 20 X.

I would say 14X is the best you are going to find right now. And that should be a NO BUY because you probably need $21.00 spot or higher just to break even.

Now I know a lot are going to claim they are getting it for 7x or 8x. There are some who always find their PM at 25% of spot but for those of us who actually buy the stuff for real you are going to be paying a hefty premium over spot for any silver, even "junk" 90%. That's just one more reason to get out of the minor leagues and promote yourself to the major leagues -- GOLD. You never have to pay a 20% premium for gold. With silver the seller charges you a 20% premium they make $3. With Gold they charge you a 3% premium they make $35. You only need a 3 % spot increase to break even. With silver you need 20%, probably more because buyback is under spot as well. Gold buyback always at spot.

I wouldn't count on either gold or silver to be gaining 20% anytime soon.

imrich and FryDaddyJr like this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

17. David Setree Rare Coins

I'm buying over the counter for 10X face.

18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

and selling for....?

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Spot

20. David Setree Rare Coins

Not selling at the moment. I am trying to replenish stock.

Overloaded on collectables like semi-key Lincolns, Proof and Mint Sets, Bu silver dollars (these have held their price well in silver's declined) common Barber in all denominations, Bust Halves and other stuff that I call glorp that just builds up around any busy coin shop.

21. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

really

Draft saved Draft deleted