What are you all paying for 90% junk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jlogan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

If you view comparesilverprices.com you will view the spread for commercial vendors. I have sales ads listed in various venues, selling diverse selections from just quality dollars to other single coin types, with mixtures in between. My prices for "no junk" 90% are below all commercial sites, in various venues. The lowest offered price is slightly above Provident buy price which is basically bullion value of 12.9 x Face, and highest price is BV + $3. Private buyer sales seemingly are reduced from a stable market price.

I believe you'll find that the trigger buy price is dependent upon what is being sold, the quality, and the venue.

All factors considered from my ongoing personal market study, I suggest that your best net sales price can be realized on eBay, somewhere in the 14 x face range, dependent upon commodity pricing.

For those impractical uninformed who ask "why not sell here", on more than one occasion, I listed quality material here, low as BV + 50 cents without a response. The same ad on craigslist stimulated numerous buyers. The ad residual time in this venue seemingly is relatively insufficient for the average NORMAL interactive selling process.

JMHO

tpsadler and Bman33 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I paid $15.50xface for $4 face today at my LCS. I'm happy.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

90% was selling like crazy at my coin club tonight. 13.5-13.8 x face. Pretty low for right now.

5. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

And this entire time I've been paying 15x and thinking I was doing well. Then again my LCS includes some stuff that seems to have numismatic value in the junk tray (walkers, mercs and sometimes barbers)

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

90% was going for 15x face at my coin club Thursday night. That's melt. Bought $2.00 worth.

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Still, and for the foreseeable future, paying 10x face through my 'network'. A little here, a little there. One guy wanted to just give me a silver quarter the other day, but I made him take the money. Gotta keep the skids grease, so I can bring him into my network ;)

Stevearino and Bman33 like this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

15x Face at another coin shop today. Bought $2.25 worth. Good news is he would buy back at 14x Face. This shop will be my go to for buying and selling from now on.

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

18x Face today at my expensive shop. Not a good deal but I only got $1.50 face. Going to wait til I go to my coin club at the end of the month where I can get melt value. A guy has a roll of dimes for me at melt.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Face value for me, I'm cheap but determined to mine all I can out of rolls at the bank.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I Coin Roll hunted for 4 1/2 months this year. Got $14.00 face in 90% and $31.00 face in 40%. Got sick of dumping at the bank and the employees there did too. I use the stuff I found to lower the cost of all my silver put together that I track. Helps me keep my cost per ounce this year right around $16.75.

Garlicus likes this.
  12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Wondering if it's a good day to buy silver. I bought some 90% last weekend for 15x face. I am itching to complete a whole role of quarters and I need 30 of them to do it. Going to cost me around $112-$120 dollars depending on spot when I leave work. Are Fridays good days to buy or should I wait?

13. Garlicus

The spot market closes at 5pm EST Friday and opens again at 7pm EST Sunday, so there won't be any movement during that time (although a dramatic world, or even regional event, could cause people to raise, or lower, their ask). Back when Switzerland voted against a gold standard, I purchased a tube of 1.25oz Canadian Bisons after the market opened and spot dropped to around $14.85 for a few hours.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ended up buying $12 face of quarters. That and a tube of Rounds. Spot was $19.76 at close yesterday. The Quarters I bought at 15x Face. I'm happy with that.

Garlicus likes this.
  15. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Dealers raise their price on weekends when the market is closed.

16. Garlicus

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

$8.00 for $14.75 x Face

19. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

14.5x on dimes and quarters, 15x on halves.

20. DutchmanDuo

DutchmanDuo New Member

All premiums have been wiped out on 90% and bullion. Demand is subdued across the board...election may bring back the interest

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've been to a few coinshops and a show and what you're saying is true.

Draft saved Draft deleted