What are you all paying for 90% junk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jlogan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Paid $15.50xface today, but got to pick my own:
    • 1901 & 1914 Barber dimes (nice VG)
    • 1936-D Mercury dime (AU)
    • 1900, 1901 & 1908-D Barber halves (nice G)
    • 1936-D & 1939-D Walking Liberty halves (F and G)

Soiled likes this.
  4. noname

noname Well-Known Member

5. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

Was able to buy at 15x a few days ago. Got Mercury dimes, quarters and even one worn Barber quarter from a LCS.

6. progger

progger New Member

I paid 17.5X yesterday for a bit over two dozen barber dimes. I never obtained any of these before, so cherry-picking was exciting. Somehow all variations/dates of the coin were different except for a couple. This was at a LCS. It was if someone had taken a book/collection and dumped them in a baggie. I can only read "libert.." on the face of one of the coins, they rest are very worn yet one can read the dates and mint marks.

7. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

LCS sold me a few silver Roosevelt dimes for 13x today.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

they never made a walking liberty dime

progger likes this.
  9. progger

progger New Member

Yikes, yes...they are often referred to as Mercuries and I was trying to use the more official reference and bombed out, I guess that Winged Liberty would have been more appropriate.

imrich likes this.
  10. Ruben

Ruben Member

My local pawn wants 20x face. I walked.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ebay is showing 17x face across the board right now.

12. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I got some at 14x face last week, but it looks like the price might go up a bit now.

13. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I current offer them 90-95% of BV

14. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I offer 10x face to the convenience store employees that I see every week. Picked up $12.50 face today

Unfortunately, about half of the employees are from Bangladesh and they tell me that when they find 90% coins, they send them 'back home', where they make jewelry out of the silver. The numismatist in me cringes at what may have been, and will be lost.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Went to a coin show today and dealers were selling 90% at 14x face. I asked them why so low and they said not much of a demand and an over supply. This is in Colorado. How is it in the other parts of the country?

16. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

I'd be so happy to pay 14x! I was recently able to purchase two Franklins and two Walkers for $8 each, so 16x. This is in New York state.

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Provident Metals is selling it for 14.9x Face right now. Seems to be dropping again.

18. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

Doesn't it make more sense to express the price that you pay for face value coinage as a percentage over melt?

If I say I paid 12x, it really doesn't tell you weather I got a good deal or weather I got screwed. You would have to go back and see what silver was selling for the day that I bought it. Paying 12x today would be an absolute steel. However, if I paid 12x when silver was $4.00/ozt I would have gotten murdered.

If, on the other hand, I say I paid melt + 5% then you know what kind of deal I got regardless of the price of silver at the time of purchase.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

You can do it that way if you like. Easier to do it the other way. I just look at Ebay and bullion sites to figure out if I am getting a good deal or not.

imrich likes this.
  20. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I offer 80-90% of BV.

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

As I type silver is at $17.72. Was thinking of selling some of my 90. What's a good price I should shoot for?

Draft saved Draft deleted