What are the local dealers charging for bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by breakintheweb, Feb 13, 2009.

1. breakintheweb

breakintheweb Senior Member

I'm curious to what local dealers are charging in your area for bullion. The local coin shop here charges $75 over spot claiming they only make %1 profit on bullion.

If you try to sell gold back to them they will only give spot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Count your blessings. Typical buy offer is 10% lower than spot. Typical sell is 10% higher than spot. Sounds like you are getting it for about 8% over spot.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

$75 over spot is a good deal these days.

5. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

At first I thought, only 1 percent? But then I read "profit." That could easily be if the dealer really means "profit" versus "gross margin."

For example, does the dealer take credit cards for payment for bullion? That's a couple or three (or more) percentage points out the door right there.

If it's a one percent gross margin, I don't think the dealer could live on that and pay expenses.

6. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

credit cards! I dont know who would continue to enrich the banks/crooks after this travesty!

Cash is king & puts your fellow man at an advantage NOT your mafia boss/banker

At a show in anaheim,ca they are charging 80-100 over spot for AGE's & $5 over spot or ASE's.

I have seen AGE's at gainesville coins for $55 over spot

7. breakintheweb

breakintheweb Senior Member

All bullion has to be bought with cash. They say it's because they only make 1 percent and the 2-3% cc fee would mean they loose money. They are obviously lying abbou the 1% which bothers me. I don't care how much they are making off bullion, but i don't like fake numbers thrown at me.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

+1, although I can negotiate a slightly better rate. ;)

9. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Purchased 10 - 1 oz maple leafs last weekend. $1000 each. Spot was ~$940.00

ASE were selling for $15.50 each at most tables. Spot was ~ $13.50

10. maksimfa

maksimfa New Member

jim, what condition where the ASE's in? Right now, you cant get ASE's for less than $18... even for 500 oz monster boxes.

11. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

My B&M guy sells Kruggerands for $60 or so over spot.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That all depends on who you are buying from. The coin show I attended on 1/31/09 you could buy ASE's all day for $15 each. And they were in as good of condition as any you'd find anywhere else.

13. maksimfa

maksimfa New Member

at $2 over spot, not bad at all. I went to the burlington coin show in jersey about 3 weeks ago... and they wanted $19 or $20. decided to skip.

14. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Currently the best deal I can get in Reno, NV is Spot+65. I never buy locally though since I have to add sales tax which at 7.375% is effectively doubling the spot premium and since it is cash, I trust the dealers to line their pockets and lie to the state.

Buying online when I can find some deals or saving up the money I would like to spend and blow it all in Oregon when I make the occasional trip up there.

Draft saved Draft deleted