What are some of your favorite silver world coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SilverMike, Feb 17, 2018.

1. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've always been a silver U.S. coin guy but recently am looking at world silver too. I love silver due to the look, the toning, and I feel like I can usually recognize if the coin is original or not. World coins are so vast though...most of what is in my LCS is after 1850, with the majority between 1910 and 1970.

So, to those who have explored this area: what are some of your favorite countries, designs, etc.?
    Thanks!

old49er likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You need to get the 2017 50th Anniv. South Africa Silver Krugerrand.
    Here is mine -
    received_10212498288236155.jpeg

Browns Fan, asheland, old49er and 2 others like this.
  4. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

There are so many nice ones, but how about the 2 & 3 mark design from Prussia commemorating the 100th anniversary of the defeat of Napoleon (1913). If you ever wondered what the Germans thought of the French circa WWI, take a look at that German eagle hauling off a French snake. The imagery is less than...subtle.
    20180203_163933.jpg 20180203_163944.jpg 20180203_164003.jpg 20180203_164013.jpg

asheland, old49er, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  5. OnceUponADime

OnceUponADime New Member

Even from my very limited knowledge and experience, I'd say there are many! That being said, I've really enjoyed the ones in my collection that are from the South Pacific region. Unfortunately, most of the ones from the smaller island nations (Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, etc...) aren't AS collectible or in high demand, if that matters to you. However, some of the ones from Australia and New Zealand are beautiful and can have value. My favorite part about foreign coins (and I guess all coins, really) is the history that they share, which I personally wouldn't have known otherwise.

I would post more photos to show you but I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of some of my favorites yet (just started collecting!). 1927c-fl00315.jpg

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have to turn to ancients. Any ancient coin with silver is incredible.

SilverMike likes this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

IMG_0035.JPG

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Every time someone posts this and says it is about Napoleon, someone else says it isn't. I don't remember what the real story is, but I know it has been said that this is wrong.

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Crowns (Sol) of Peru 37mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

11. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Crowns of any kind, and most especially those with a British Monarch on the obverse. 1937 AU crown obv.JPG 1937 AU crown rev.JPG

SilverMike and old49er like this.
  12. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

ebay3 denmark-tile.jpg foriegn1944philipines us administeration 20centavos 007-horz.jpg cats-horz.jpg cats-tile.jpg foriegn 1894 Guatamala 2reales.jpg 1549lithuanian-tile.jpg o_victoria-gothic-crown-1848-.jpg 1537ferdinandIdenar-tile.jpg There are many nice World Silver Coins,here are a few of my favorites. Denmark, Russia, Philipines, Dominica, France, Guatemala, Lithuanian, Great Britain Gothic Florin, Hungarian Denar. Have fun with your collection! :)

13. trussell

trussell Active Member

My old stand by:
    frankfort1060.jpg frankfortobv061.jpg

14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I feel a lot of world silver is neglected by US collectors. There are some real gems of both art and beauty.
    IMG_0473.JPG

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The list of appealing world coin designs in silver is nearly endless. I've long admired several of the designs folks have already posted.

Here are two of mine that seem to be popular with others.

81824095_Large.jpg 81375726_Large.jpg

(More info and other coins in the "Eclectic Box" link below.)

One thing you'll also notice after branching out from US coins into World coins is how farther more your budget will carry you, relatively speaking. There's a lot more "bang for the buck" here.

16. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I like the early Soviet coins because of the blatant propaganda (the rouble is the only coin to show the young man telling the old man to get a job!), any German Imperial coin because I like the eagle on the reverse, and the Venetian Tallero because of the lion. I don’t own one of those yet though. 666440FA-4D9F-46A7-ABEF-C9A2A8663E95.jpeg F1CCC8A0-6159-457A-82C9-0DACBD4EE554.jpeg
    Here is a generic photo of the eagle on the back because I don’t have any photos of my German Empire collection yet and the tallero
    7FF98D92-E9A5-478F-92B9-5BA6A1237C1D.jpeg
    From Pinterest
    6C9F4A47-30E3-413E-A5BB-E44A0BFB9F14.jpeg
    From Wikipedia

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Malta 1972 Fort Angelo 2 pound, this image isn't mine but I do own one and it is one of my favorite specimen of world coins. s-l1600-2.jpg s-l400-4.jpg

18. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Would love to own one .

SilverMike likes this.
  19. rte

rte Well-Known Member

20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

21. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Great, now I have a competitor!

SilverMike likes this.