What are Realistic Silver and Gold Prices?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Matthew Kruse, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

What is the name of that auction, please. I buy bars but not for the mint location. Do have a few 5 Oz bars of a Tuskegee airman in my safe. Never knew there was a bar auction. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

Student loans.

4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Skully just a random bar I ran across.
    I'll let you know when it's over, its still in a price range where I'll make a run at it.

5. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

As far as the price of gold and silver goes two things could happen and neither of which we have much control over. If inflation keeps trending up the current gold and silver market will continue to raise but, it doesn't mean you made money. All this means is that our paper money is worth less. If the current trend stops and prices start dropping again the metal prices could also drop. However, nothing is guaranteed. The problem with keeping gold and silver as a hedge against inflation is it can be a very risky investment. What I mean by risky is that if your holding gold and silver with the idea you will make a lot of money well that's possible but, what most people ignore is that the value of paper money has dropped making it look like you made a lot of money. However, all you did is trade your gold and sliver for paper money that will buy much less than when you bought you PM's. This concept is very hard for most people to grasp. They think as long as the price of PM's is higher than what they paid for it they're doing good. However, that may not be the case. Personally, I like gold and silver and I think most collectors do. We understand it's history. The one thing gold and silver will always have verses paper money is that the vast majority of the people no mater where they are from in the world recognize gold and silver as a form of money. We have used it for that purpose for 5,000 years. The value of paper money no mater which country produces it can loose a lot a value in a very short period of time. I like to use what happened to the paper money that was being used in Germany soon after WW 1. It's value dropped like a rock soon after WW 1. This was caused by all the blood sucking Europeans wanting payback for WW 1. What their actions caused was WW 2 and Hitler and his gang coming into power. And once Hitler came to power a lot of Jews and others realized they were in deep shit and bribed their way out of Germany with gold and silver. For those didn't, couldn't or that thought there was nothing to worry about well it didn't end well for them. Gold and Silver are good barter tools when shit hits the fan but, don't be mislead by what you see on some commercial on TV suggesting you should convert your assets to PM because you will loose. Even if it's value goes up 10 percent by the time you want to sell it you would be lucky to break even. No dealer is going to offer to buy your PM's at the price listed on the stock market. There is no incentive to do so. This even goes for Silver American Eagles, which right now are very over priced compared to the spot price of silver.

usmc 6123 and dan smith like this.
  6. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

What are big dealers paying per dollar of 90% silver? 40% halves? War nickels?

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right! thumbupp.gif

1865King likes this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Silver value $28 per OZ , ASE $41 on average, do the math...LOL

fretboard likes this.
  9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

You would be lucky to get melt silver price from a dealer.
    That's the worst place to sell

1865King and Tuna like this.
  10. fretboard

Most pay 70% of spot, true story! 112.gif

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On the other hand, they do pay, they don't bounce checks, they don't mug you for the coins and cash, and they don't case out your home.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Jeff always finds a positive in a situation and exploits it..

Lueds, Matthew Kruse and -jeffB like this.
  13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Fancy silver is going for 50/oz on Ebay

14. Douglas Ross

Douglas Ross Member

I know it's not one of the aforementioned metals, but it is in coinage so please consider this chart of $copper. Getting close to a one year double.... Copper chart.png

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  15. mpcusa

Thats why I only buy generic, or boutique if I get it for a generic price
    similar to a regular bullion coin and then getting it graded WHY ?

FryDaddyJr and fretboard like this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I think it's at an all-time high -- in nominal dollars. Inflation-adjusted, it's been more expensive in the past.

But those prices are per pound. If you want to protect significant wealth, or even just six months' salary, how many tons are you willing to haul and store?

Douglas Ross and fretboard like this.
  17. Douglas Ross

Douglas Ross Member

Yes, and good point however, this example was merely to show a corollary in the metals market not to propose converting your garage to a copper depot.... ;-)

usmc 6123 and fretboard like this.
  18. fretboard

Now I know! :D

Douglas Ross likes this.
  19. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

5 dollars more for an ASE than a maple. man that's just stupid.

slackaction1 likes this.
  20. mpcusa

The cost isn’t across the board, so if your
    talking bullion regardless coin or bar you
    want to pay the lowest price theoretically
    why would you pay more for virtually the
    same thing ? It boggles the mind !

usmc 6123 and Douglas Ross like this.
  21. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

This all depends on the market the time and how much the dealer already has. If you talking about junk silver. You may get 10 percent below melt. If there is a lot being dumped on the market you will get less. If the dealer has someone wanting to buy some you might do better. It has more to do with timing and need. If the dealer has a lot he may offer 30 percent below melt.

Draft saved Draft deleted