What’s better than a Julius Caesar aureus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Apr 11, 2022.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suppose each of the four would be considered the favorite for each viewer and most of the collectors out there would be happy to own any of the four BUT these do a good job illustrating a point I find interesting. I have no idea about the grades assigned to these coins and I have no idea if the reverses might change the 'pecking order' but, IMHO, the best is the last one added because I like the portrait style and it has a clear right legend including DICT compared to its dupe at the left. In most cases, I would have given top rank to the top coin since it is full legend. Am I dreaming or does that top coin show a trace of being overstruck with faint letters at the top left? If so, that one jumps to my #1. Just in case any of you was shopping for my Christmas present :angelic:, I'll as you not get me the bottom coin which I would expect to be less in both strike and surface.

We may see these coins appear in some slab sale soon. It would be interesting to see how they compare to each other in terms of realizations. I will not be bidding on any of them (shocker!). This is a bit beyond that old saying, "If I had some lettuce, I could have a BLT, if I had some bacon." My situation is more basic: I have no bread. ;)

Edessa, Egry, Tejas and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Ok Doug. I won't get you that one.

dougsmit likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Barry,

I don't envy your job of authenticating ancient coins one bit in this day and age. ;)

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Now that's more like it.

6. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

East and West coin are die-identical; would have been a relatively small issue.
    Beyond my league, though.

Frans

7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Using online resources I've attempted to catalog Julius Caesar/Octavian aurei and have found 32 examples in ACSEARCH and other resources. Of the four pictured below, three of them have records from previous auctions but one of them I've been unable to find:

JC aureus.jpg

1 - Last auction record CNG 05-21-2003 hammer price $21,000.
    2 - Last auction record CNG 05-18-2016 hammer price $35,000.
    3 - Last auction record CNG 01-16-2013 hammer price $27,000.
    4 - Unable to find any previous auction records.

I also cannot find any previous auction records for jdmKY's example of this aureus. Adding these two aurei to my records turns up 34 examples of this aureus.

Ryro, Tejas, Shea19 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

Barry, Barry, Barry ... Here you go again causing us members to lavishly smack our lips and lick out chops! All said and done, your post always raises my passion a smidgen or more. Thanks, Fred

9. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

#4 has been off the market but is coming up at NAC and is ex. Munzahandlung Basel sale 6, 1936, lot 1521 (and the plate coin of Calico 52b) and jdmKY's is ex. Garrett.

10. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

As @AncientJoe has said, mine was ex-Garrett (NFA-Leu, May 17,1984, Lot #679). I bought it from NFA in 1987 for $11,000 + commission. The prior pedigree goes back to about 1915.

11. I don't think I would mistake a JC Gold aureus: I remember the discussion was that it was minted just before the assassination. Would a denarius go for $4g? (Why is "denarius" coming up as 'misspelled')?

12. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

@Michael W. Bradley Nope! It definitely was a denarius that was featured in that episode. In today’s market, $4000 wouldn’t go very far for a decent portrait denarius. There’s simply no such thing as a lifetime portrait aureus of Julius Caesar. As others have already said in this thread, portrait aurei were minted posthumously by Octavian.

13. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

14. Barry Murphy

Not all aurei have portraits. 3FF7D9AF-7C92-4478-A527-5F79717826E0.jpeg

Hrefn, Egry, akeady and 9 others like this.
  15. IdesOfMarch01

Thanks for the additional information. I've added it to my spreadsheet tracking this coin and now have 34 examples of this type.

AncientJoe and jdmKY like this.
  16. Barry Murphy

FYI,

Babelon recorded 35 specimens.
    C63A9968-A268-4E23-B7CC-E7FF23AEE663.jpeg

17. IdesOfMarch01

I had read somewhere that there were 35 recorded specimens; the 34 that I've found myself all have pictures associated with them. It will be difficult to cross-correlate mine with the Babelon list without accompanying pictures, though, so the one (or possibly more) that I'm missing will remain elusive.

Draft saved Draft deleted