Charade Vagi - Zlobin over a Julius Caesar denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andres2, May 1, 2019.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Just saw this Pawn stars episode, Rick is interested in a JC lifetime Caesar denarius, offered by Ilya Zlobin aka as mister highrating-lowprices on eBay. Calls himself a World renowed expert numismatist.
    and David Vagi ancient coin expert and director with NGC.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Amazing! Mr. David Vagi and Mr. Ilya Zlobin together in the same video.

Paul M. and ominus1 like this.
  4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Ridiculous!!!! That Zlobin guy is an arrogant ass. One more reason why I've vowed never to buy anything from him.

kazuma78, SinisterVirtue and Paul M. like this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Ilya is an expert at one thing....getting unsuspecting newbies to grosly overpay for coins to the point that they'll probably abandon the hobby when they discover just how badly they've been had. It's just my personal opinion, but I'm willing to bet many others share the same opinion on this forum.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Hopefully I can steer newbies in the right direction....

IMG_20190501_190911.jpg

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

David Vagi looks a lot younger than I expected!

Paul M. likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha...wow...two people i dealt with on tv...at the same time...kool....(free advertising for both...:D)..i'd say this episode's purdy old but still kool..thanks for sharing..:)

9. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I don't think this TV appearance was quite the PR moment Ilya thought it would be! Very satisfying to watch him flounder in his attempt at a televised rip-off.

10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I wonder what High price Low quality's reaction is when somebody offers $50 on his $1000 coin listings :mad: :arghh:
    Good thing there are knowledgeable appraisers as the show can't even get the date in the right century.
    20190501_204413.jpg

Alegandron and Jay GT4 like this.
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I offered $200 on a $2100 coin and was flatly refused. The coin was really worth between $2-250. I thought he'd at least counter but I'm glad he didn't. Not supporting someone like that. What a joke.

When I originally saw the episode on TV I had no idea that's who it was...

12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

It looks like he is bad news. I looked at a Galba sestertius of his which he wants something like $17,000 This one has a 60% discount from the previous price $42500. It was put into a NAC auction and had an estimate of about $3200 US did not get a bid. He brings a whole new meaning to the term "tomorrows prices today"

arizonarobin likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

He has a huge number of coins including 98% junk and 99% overpriced. I have bought a total of 5 coins from him over the years including one that I paid him 1/3 what CNG had sold that same specimen before and one piece of absolute junk that I wanted bad enough to pay his ridiculous price. I encourage you to buy coins from sellers who you feel comfortable with and leave being a fool to me. I only had to look at ten thousand of his postings to find five I wanted (lie, there was a sixth I wanted but we never reached agreement on a price).

The foolish five:
    Cheap at $175? No, but I fail to understand the sale on CNG below. This coin has been posted here so often that those who care about the subject should recognize it.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp...1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1&VIEW_TYPE=0
    ru3200fd2910.jpg
    Martin, do you have this combination? I did not. rg0825bb2820.jpg
    Overpriced but not worse than VCoins average
    pa0300fd2085.jpg
    I doubt anyone here would appreciate why I bought this for any price and I am in the market for an upgrade. I have seen one other.
    rl5845bb3071.jpg
    I paid too much for the grade but I am a sucker for a pretty face on Medusa, gushing body, full weapon and a city I lacked. Again VCoins would not have been cheaper if they had it.
    g61497fd1612.jpg

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well, I've done my abdominal workout for the day with all that cringing!

Although, David Vagi is utterly adorable-- a cute, smart, and well-spoken geek. Is it wrong that I'm crushing on a slabber?! :oops::D

15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Women are always attracted to the bad boys. :angelic:

Pishpash, R*L, arizonarobin and 9 others like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have that same tetradrachm!

Faustina Jr Alexandrian Tetradrachm.jpg

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That was hilarious. Is any publicity really good publicity? Ilya is a pretty good actor... I was almost convinced that he believed his own nonsense. How did Vagi even keep a straight face while they were filming? o_O

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ilya is a canny albeit oily salesman. Of course the coin isn't worth $4400 and even a noncollector would come to that conclusion based on this episode. But... that coin has now appeared on TV. It is "famous", and an unsophisticated buyer might think Vagi was mistaken in his assessment of ~$1500 retail value. Ilya just increased the likely sales price of his coin.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Ilya came across exactly as I imagined. A fidgety charlatan without scruples.

Roman Collector likes this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Sad, and probably true.

21. VirginiaMan

VirginiaMan Member

WOW! Mr. Zlobin REALLY comes across as desperate to prove that he is correct and "trustworthy" (you missed by a Roman mile) ..... "damn the naysayers"! I have been in sales my whole long life. Top of my field and trained many a salesperson. This guy makes me want to take a long HOT shower and scrub with a Brillo pad. Mr. Vagi, on the other hand, comes across assured; confident; forthcoming, and....pleasant. "Oily" vs "Satin"..... no contest; Period. All this is of course my personal opinion.

Alegandron and Nicholas Molinari like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted