Washington State proposed bill to make gold and silver legal tender

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GreatWalrus, Jan 31, 2012.

1. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

So basically every day the state would post the value of an ounce of PM based upon markets. So you could pay a bill for $66 with two ounces of silver. This is not money, this is basically forcing the state to accept payment in commodities. Its just like if Iowa passed a law accepting corn for payment of taxes, or Wisconsin accepting cheese for payment.

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I'll gladly pay in corn or cheese! :p

5. fatima

fatima Junior Member

No I disagree completely. As the article states, Gold & Silver are Constitutional or rather lawful money. Cheese isn't. The proposal is simply for the state to revert back to accepting lawful money as legal tender as it did a century ago.

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I knew you would, but how is something that is priced daily based upon commodity markets "lawful money"? Now, if they passed a law accepting ASE for $50 worth of state payments, then THAT would be payment in "lawful money" in my eyes.

Just my opinion.

7. lilrud

lilrud New Member

I think we should go back to using beads like they did for hundreds of years. Silver and gold is not money. How about using platinum or palladium or lead or copper or.....

8. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

9. fatima

fatima Junior Member

The dollar itself is priced daily on the commodity markets against other currencies.

It's lawful money because it's specified in the Constitution.

10. noob76

noob76 Member

how would this even work? i mean can i just bring in an unmarked lump of gold or silver and demand the kid at the grocery store accept it.

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would accept it... :apu:

12. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

ha ill trade you 2 wheels of brie for 50 lbs of grits,,lol..

13. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

I rather give them my toilet paper *cough* i mean dollar bills. Silver is so shiney.

14. kaosleeroy108

technically its fiat, what would be considered currency is anything backed by or redeemable for gold and silver at trade of in any bank according to the constitution but rules change..

15. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

The US Constitution is clear that only gold and silver are money, but they can be commodities too. Everything is priced in something else regardless of labels, but this is not equivalent to buying and selling with any other commodity.

I am stoked about this bill, being that I am a Washingtonian. As soon as the entire nation is on the same page then the good money will drive out the bad, and we can say goodbye to monetary debasement. WIN

16. kaosleeroy108

im buying some yellow cake.. any one wants to go split with me ??

17. kaosleeroy108

18. kaosleeroy108

heres one will the u.s. the rebase there currency on gold n silver standards...???

19. kaosleeroy108

ill trade you 2 cats for a months worth of power and one car for your wife

20. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

I'll trade a quart of pace picante sauce for 5 pounds of tortilla chips...then I'd still have a quart of salsa and chips too!

I also have a 20+ pound Maine coon cat that would make a good fur hat or a pair of gloves..I can't say he's got alot of meat on him...any offers of barter?

:D

21. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I never understood how this can work. If I pay my state income taxes with one gold eagle and 2 rolls of silver eagles, what happens to the state if the value of PMs plummet? How is the state gonna meet its financial obligations when they are paid in something that changes in value everyday? True that our fiat money changes in value all the time, but only a few percent per year. PMs can move tens of percents per year.

Draft saved Draft deleted