Washing Silver Generic Rounds

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I think it is organic, so I might have a shot.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It is not organic if it is INTO the surface. Organic build-up can often be "nudged" with a sliver of a toothpick. That should be all I need to post :rolleyes:; however:*

* My "nudge" is a very soft touch using a microscope to see if the crud is soft and "pushes in" or moves. If it is soft, try a drop of acetone on the spot.

Bman33 likes this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Will try it.

5. Insider

Insider said:
    It is not organic if it is INTO the surface. Organic build-up can often be "nudged" with a sliver of a toothpick. That should be all I need to post :rolleyes:; however:*

* My "nudge" is a very soft touch using a microscope to see if the crud is soft and "pushes in" or moves. If it is soft, try a drop of acetone on the spot.

Be careful. You may put a hairline on the coin if you do not use magnification or push to hard! Besides, with a hand lens you should be able to tell if the spot is raised on the surface or stained into it.

6. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I got a bottle of acetone from CVS and one once from target. They both say 100% acetone? However, I noticed that there's 2-3 ingredients on the back: acetone, and Denatonium Benzoate (preservative?) on one bottle. The other bottle has a third ingredient: fragrance. I was worried and went to Home Depot looking for purer acetone (ie 1 ingredient) but the can was too large and I didn't bother. Are the two bottle I have okay? Thanks

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Alright, tonight I am going to give it an acetone bath overnight. I will do a before and after picture too. It's a Zombuck Murk Diem which is my favorite one. I paid $26.00 for it when spot was $18.00 so I have a vested interest in restoring it. Not going to go the Ezest route this time because that was just trouble for me.

8. Insider

Ask the drug store to order medical grade for you. That's where I USED TO get mine for personal use at home. They possibly will not do it for you with all the red tape and you may get on the "no-fly" terrorist list. :facepalm:

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have some left over from the last time I used it on some rounds with finger prints. Worked really well.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Denatonium benzoate is one of the bitterest chemicals known and is usually added to alcohol products at the PPM level to keep people from drinking them. Why anyone would want to drink acetone is beyond me...well, it does smell good...no. Fragrance is usually added to fingernail polish remover so it smells good. Either could leave objectionable deposits.

joecoincollect and Insider like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One of the airline terrorists was going to mix acetone with hydrogen peroxide to make acetone peroxide...I did graduate work on peroxides, and I don't think he could have made the compound that easily.

12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch. I agree. I'll have to find some pure acetone

Draft saved Draft deleted